• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Tall People

trekmann

I agree, I am shorter than many I fight at 5'8" and have shorter legs and less reach than many.

The advice I have had and it seems to work is to move around a lot. Try to block and counter by moving in fast and hitting them with combinations. Keep them defensive when on the attack then move back out of range.

A mistake I was making is assuming my reach was the same as theirs and letting them plan an attack by hanging back. Now I put bursts of moves on them and it seems to work.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for your advise everyone. I will try out some of these tatics on my usual sparring partner at the dojo who is failry tall. :D

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

People are people. Tall or short, it is just a matter of adapting (this is not a lesson i know you all know this)

Best way to fight tall people is to get in as close as possible, there is a danger zone that you need to pass thorugh first, this is the hard part! if you stay out to far from them you are giving them free range to pick you because of their reach. also what type of sparring are you talking about? full contact? ippon? etc etc you need to adapt to suit each type i find that they all need a different approach.

MAIN TIP: dont get hit, hit him first

luke

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........