• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Tall People

trekmann

I participated in my first club tournament last Sunday, and myself and a few other students had to fight this rather tall stocky guy. To give you an idea I am 5ft 10in tall and this guy would have been about 6ft 3in. off course he also had long arms that could reach nearly anywhere your face happened to be. :x

Can anyone give me some advise on how to work around his height/reach and score a point. I tried to come in low, but he was right on top of that trick. :karate:

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i like sparring with tall opponent. if you go head on then youl'll really going to be pummeled. a mule kick usually takes care of my tall and "very eager to attack" opponents.

why did we surrender lord?

I'm almost 6' and I sparred with someone who was 7'2''--very tall but not heavy. He has amazing reach, and it was very challenging. I found strong press blocks were effective against him so I could jump/lunge into range and score.

Another thing that helped was his stances. They were quite high, so it was easier to sweep his leg and take him off balance. This made him hesitate, thus allowing a lunch punch or kick.

Hope that helps.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Ha ha ...lunge punch. Not lunch.

- Sun-tzu

I'm with cathedral. Tall people are a piece of cake...

You keep your distance and force them into a longer stance. Then, SWEEP AND COUNTER! Down they go... :kaioken: :bawling: :-? :D

If they charge you, go THROUGH your opponent while doing a pressing block to deflect their long arm and counter. As soon as you pass them, turn around and counter to their face - or what ever opening you have when they turn...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Tall people have an advantage. Sometimes they don't know how to use it and it's easy to make their advantage turn into disadvantage. Sometimes they know their business (I'm a tall woman and know to exploit this. I can't be swept, I mule kick like a ... well, mule ... and happen to know how to keep my oponent away). Of course, when it comes to good fighters, the game is not played until the end. It's all decided in those very moments, and our "recepies" are good for information and a better conduct of the entire "war".

I'm ranting, here, hope you'll see my idea :karate:

Killer Miller, its cathal not cathedral :)

- Sun-tzu

Killer Miller,

Taller fighters are far from a "piece of cake".

Most of them will use their reach to their advantage and jab and mae-geri the * out of you if you stand at distance.

Then there's the axe kick to the face that most of them seem to be fairly adapt at :)

The only way I've found to deal with them is get inside quick - hit and run, but watch for the counter on the "run".

ET

Killer Miller,

Taller fighters are far from a "piece of cake".

Most of them will use their reach to their advantage and jab and mae-geri the * out of you if you stand at distance.

Then there's the axe kick to the face that most of them seem to be fairly adapt at :)

The only way I've found to deal with them is get inside quick - hit and run, but watch for the counter on the "run".

ET

Yep. I'm a short guy, and that's all I can do against a tall guy *UNLESS* he's a kicker. I usually have better luck against kickers because I've got pretty fast hands and footwork. Tall kickers like to act like snipers. They'll stay outside of your reach then try to throw long kicks at you. If your feet and hands are fast enough you can sometimes jam up their kick toss a quick backfist, jab or ridgehand to the head, or a reverse punch into their torso. Watch out for the reverse hooking kicks though. If you put your upper block out to catch a hook kick, be sure to put it out there far enough that the lower part of the leg doesn't just wrap around the block and make contact. It's happened to me too many times.