• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3-sectioned staff... coolest. weapon. EVER.

Beka

We had an instructer demo at my dojo today, and my sensei pulled out the 3 sectioned staff and did a kata with it. It was the coolest thing I have EVER seen in my whole life I swear to god it was the coolest greatest most awesome thing EVER. SOOOOOOO cool. A couple of brown belts at my dojo are going to take it up, too, so hopefull they'll get awesome at it, too, and show off for my karate movies...

awesome awesome awesome...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We can choose to learn the 3-sectioned staff at 2 belt level, you have to choose between the 3-sect. staff and the chane.

And indeed it is a very nice weapon.

Greetzz ChenZy

:: Bless me father, for I have just killed quite a few men ::

https://www.tricking.be

hmm, as far as i know, the three section staff is not a japanese weapon and as such wouldn't really feature in a karate demonstration....

and um, what do you mean by chane?

cane?

staff?

the thing is, before you learn any other long weapon, you're supposed to learn the staff because that is where everything comes from.

the flowering, weight control, blocking area, attacking area, parrying area, stances, body movement and all that stuff is all learnt with the staff.

unless of course, you aren't learning how to use the weapon, just how to make it look pretty...

but then what would i know?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Well, since Cuong Nhu is 'cannibalisitic', we have forms from japanese, vietnamese, and chinese styles. We call it karate for simplicity's sake, and because a good lot of it is based off of shotokan. However, the dan ranks are generally encouraged to study other styles, and I know that my sensei went off to China for a few years to study wushu. So for him to have experience with the 3 sectioned staff is plenty fitting, i'd say.

ahhh, wushu from china.

explains a lot....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

• 1 month later...

in my opinion The three section is the ultimate weapon (for combat)its great for long distance attacks and can be used for close combat. Its great for choking holds.

the best way to get hit is to not get hit at all

...but it's a bugger to carry around...

the best thing about the three-section is that at it's basic level, you treat them as an extension of your hand/arm.

learning how to use the ends as sticks is nice and intuitive and a lot of hard work (angles are very important)

the weight of the damned thing also does wonders for your forearms.

is it great?

well, it works.... kinda....

takes too long to learn it.

great for demonstations though.

y'know, 'look a staff'... 'look, another staff'... 'woo a sword'.....

....'what in god's name is that?'.....

hehe...

we did a three-section staff vs spear (that we more or less stole from some old hk flick) for the local chinese society for chinese new year a few years back.

ahhhh, happy days...

oh before you ask, i didn't take part in this one.

i was on the drum for the lion dance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been using three section staff for about four years now, and i think its probabaly the best looking weapon for forms, but having a strong knowledge of bo-staff(long-staff) is pretty essential.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."