• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

Kumite988

The way I see Bassai Dai as offensive is that all blocks, in my opinion, are not to stop techniques, they are to deflect them so that you can counter attack. I think that this may be due to the style that I am in, but in all honesty, its what I feel.

here here

no move in kata is just a block, they are all designed either to end the fight there and then or put the opponent in a very vulnerable poisition. I strongly believe that the 'knife hand' part of knife hand "block" (for example) is almost exclusively a strike. The parry comes in the hand to the ear at the move's beginning.

On the subject of Bassai-Dai, one of my favourite applications in tha kata is the 'round' grab followed by the low kick jsut before a turn to facing the back. The 'grab' changes a wrist grab on you to a wrist grab on your opponent, also grabbed with your other hand (preventing him usign teh same counterattack on you) and pulling his arm in while executign a side kick to his knee. manifique :D

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt