• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

Kumite988

Hello, I haven't posted in a while but oh well. I'd like to discuss Bassai Dai and its Bunkai. I have been researching Bassai Dai quite a while and I know it means to penetrate a fortress. However, I know Bassai Dai is not an offensive kata. It focuses more on you becoming impenetrable. I guess I'll start with talking about the bunkai of the first move. It is some type of wrist lock, or I believe it can be used to break someones grasp on your wrist, using your left hand for extra leverage.

I also have a quick question though. When looking up bunkai of this kata, I came across the term nikkyo quite a lot and I'm not sure what that technique is. Can someone help me out please?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The nikkyo technique is whereby the aggressors energy is focused on their palm and turned back in the direction of their elbow, destroying their posture and thus throwing them off balance.

This can be used very effectivey to break a forearm if I'm not mistaken, but I do know that the opponent and be taken down to the floor with this technique.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The first move can be many things. One is if they grab to break the lock and then attack. another is to break the arm. another is also to actually attack someone with the back of your fist and have the other one pushing to provide support. This can be demonstrated with the forward motion of the body and the positioning of the fist.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Nikkyo is a commonly used Aikido move; it uses the principles of 2-joint manipulation (the shoulder & elbow) to disable an opponent. It is one of the main disabling and pinning techniques used in Aikido when you start as a beginner.

I've also seen the 1st move in Bassai-Dai described as a block (as well as a strike and a joint lock as has already been mentioned).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Everyone already hit the first move of the kata pretty good. So I won't go into that again.

The kata is a VERY offensive kata. The first main sequence is a lot of insideout blocks but think of them as breaks or strikes, From that point on the kata at face value is VERY offenseive. Knife hands stepping forward are not blocks IMO. Stomping the Knee, doulbe fist attacks, Groin attack, Double punches, sweeps, etc. Bassai Dai prob. has less defense in it than most kata.

One thing that we all will agree on is that if you do Bassai Dai at full force you are beat. The energy you put forth to make the kata look like is the amount it would take to strom a frotress.....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If you believe that Bassai is "Penetrating a Fortress" doesn't it have to be then, by definition, very offensive?

Not going to get very far into the fortress standing at the gate ;)

I prefer the "selection of the best" interpretation, and I tend to make my interpretations as brutish and nasty as possible.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I have to agree with G59Champ on this one. Bassai Dai is a very tiring Kata when done correctly and very offensive. A fair amount of inside/outside tension as well in some parts.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

If you believe that Bassai is "Penetrating a Fortress" doesn't it have to be then, by definition, very offensive?

Not going to get very far into the fortress standing at the gate ;)

I prefer the "selection of the best" interpretation, and I tend to make my interpretations as brutish and nasty as possible.

I agree 100%. It's gotta look like it's really gonna hurt. :brow:

My kata is not pretty or dance-like. It looks rather brutish and painful. I doubt it would win any tournaments. :P (It's my kata and I think its pretty in a cute ugly dog sort of way. :D :D :D )

I try to make every technique work against a real attack. I find a good way to practice is to have a buddy attack you while you work on your kata. Its a lot of fun and adds a sense of urgency and realism when you get hit if you don't block properly. Its a good way to find out what works for YOU. Thats just the way it has to feel to me for it to be a kata IMO.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I agree with what everyone has said about the offensive nature of the kata, in saying that, it really depends on your mind-set.

You may perform the kata in a defensive manner and see the techniques as blocks and counters, or you may perform it in an offensive way and see the techniques as different types of attacks.

I personally view all techniques as attacks, both directly and indirectly. This may seem to contradict one of the shotokan kun "no first strikes" but if someone is threatening you that is a form of attack in my opinion and the appropriate 'defensive' action needs to be taken, weather it be walking away etc, or striking.

Just some thoughts...

The way I see Bassai Dai as offensive is that all blocks, in my opinion, are not to stop techniques, they are to deflect them so that you can counter attack. I think that this may be due to the style that I am in, but in all honesty, its what I feel.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)