• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo Application/Training

delta1

OK, we're moving down the list, so I'll wrap it up. First, as I said initially, the purpose of this is just to generate discussion and maybe illustrate what I've said about how we train for comparative purposes. Not a 'mines better' type of thing- this is not one of the techniques I'd choose to make that point if I even wanted to.

Second, not all Kenpoists or schools share my philosophy. I have run across some who think you should be able to run a technique as written on the street. I, and I think the vast majority of Kenpoists, would disagree with them. To each his own, but I wish them luck if they have to put it to the test.

One point that didn't come up but that this tech highlighted, that the system takes common, instinctive movements, refines them and applies them. A squat may be ungainly, but it can work.

I'll be glad to continue the discussion, but it looks like a good time to tie up the loose ends, just in case.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run across some who think you should be able to run a technique as written on the street. I, and I think the vast majority of Kenpoists, would disagree with them.

Me too.

I vote for Delta1 to moderate a new kenpo/kempo category for KF! :nod: :up:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I'm sort of left speechless...

Freedom isn't free!

:( Sorry to burst your bubble Delta :P But how come we dont see these sort of techniques in MMA. I mean I've seen lots of bear hugs and rear standing chokes but nothing resembling your video. Also the last kenpoist Iv'e seen in MMA was that guy who beat up Yarlborough because the fatty couldn't move around. If it's such a kick * style where are your UFC fighters or Pride or K1. :x Don't want your head getting too big and yopur just too good an opponent to let off the ropes :idea:

Donkey

Why do so many people believe that in order for a martial art to be good and effective, it has to have fighters in the K1/UFC ring?

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

because UFC fighters dont just do a style then go into the ring. They choose systems to study nad then use them in the ring, for them to choose a system it has to be affective, oftent they will try things but due to their wealth of experieince they can quickly see what will and wont work.

Seize the day!

What will and won't work for inside of a ring with a set of rules, yes. Believe it or not, K1/UFC does favor particular styles due to its rules and setting.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill