• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo Application/Training

delta1

hmm, i think we write a lot because we spend so much time online trying to explain things to people that would normally take 30 seconds to show in a training hall....

then they equate that we can only talk.

then they misunderstand what we typed originally.

then they think that what we said=what we do.

then they think that what we do don't work.

so... we try to explain more to clarify.

then even more misunderstandings occur....

Either that, or we're all just plain full of... :lol:

Nah, you make a good point. Could go either way. :P

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be what i call over analysis.

Analysing till it barely even exists. How much will you have to think about in a real fight?

Seize the day!

Mart, go back and re read. I take this to the mats with other stylists at the drop of a hat. This includes the MMAers. And it works!

That's one of the things I really like about some MMA, MT and grapplers- they tend to think they have the only way. You get some great expressions when they find themselves had by something they regard as worthless because it is outside their method!

Freedom isn't free!

well that's kinda the point.

we 'over-analyse' only in words because some people pick at the words we type and question things that would usually take 10 seconds to show.

if you were to throw a punch at me i could do this or that or what-ever.

i can then go to tell you that if you had been in a different stance my reation would've been different.

if you had you foot in a different place i would've done something different.

if you followed i would do this, that etc etc.

i can go on forever, and analyse everything that you could ask.

BUT

if you asked me to show you, i could show you and make you see what i mean in maybe 2 minutes with very little talking.

the over analysing is because a lot of people don't see that what i learn isn't a fixed thing.

there is no 'i do this if you do that'.

i don't block, the block is there.

i don't pull if you step forward, your stepping forward makes me pull.

in my style, and that is all i can comment on, everything i end up doing is caused by you.

i can tell you how+why that is in words and it will take me bloody ages.

or i could show you very quickly in person (whether or not it works is always a different matter...)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Ok fair enough, have you ever fought a lion. If not you suck :)

Oh ****! You got me there. I was actually scheduled for a fight at the Collesium once, but they found out I wasn't a Christian and it got cancelled. :D

Everyone doesn't take as copious a set of notes as I do, either. One reason is that I'm so far away from an AK school- I've never actually been a part of a regular AK class. I've worked out with a small group and went for private instruction most of the time. I've actually worked out with other systems schools more than with an AK school. So anything I learn, or am told, or any questions that come up while I'm working out with another system, all gets written down. I don't have the luxury of going back in a couple of days and asking 'What was it you said?'.

Now, I have to write a note to find out if we have a technique for lions- sheesh! :o

This could be what i call over analysis. Analysing till it barely even exists. How much will you have to think about in a real fight?

You analyse in training, and at a particular stage in that training. When the lion springs, you don't think, you react! And sparing is good, but it doesn't necessarily prepare you for some of these self defense situations. If you've never had to react, under force, with the lions weight on you and a hold being applied in training- odds are you aren't going to in a real situation. Working set techniques insures that we have done that with a variety of assaults, instead of leaving it to chance we'll run up against those situations in sparing. Sparing is important, but it isn't everything.

Edited by delta1

Freedom isn't free!

TheDevilAside- I was in a hurry this morning, and didn't give you a complete answer. I should have said four is typically the most for a common type attack. But you may run across a school that has more. Some have techniques of their own, and some like to say they have the "LOST" techniques of AK. Those arejust techniques that were dropped as the system matured because what they taught was addresed better somewhere else.

Another common grouping is three, one for each demension. At least, this is what I've seen so far. I'm an intermediate level Kenpoist, so you should check this with your Instructor. From what you said earlier in your post, it sounds like you are getting some good instruction. I envy you guys that have regular acces to a good school. Hang around here a while longer, and I'll be asking you for advice and information! 8)

Freedom isn't free!

Drunken Monkey, I know what you mean. A lot of this stuff, you have to see to really understand. Then again, to REALLY understand it, you have to feel it applied! And my jabs at the MT guys not withstanding, I've been a little surprised at feeling some of the other guys techniques applied as well. Heck fire, it's all just good fun in the end- and some useful skills!

Freedom isn't free!

:D That's the MA way! We beat each other up and then go for a beer. :brow:

Now THAT"S a man that knows how to train! :D

By the way, we have a technique for stealing your beer. 8)

:lol:

Freedom isn't free!