• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should i quit taekwondo and start muay thai?

i live in US, hawaii and i doubt anyone would know a good gym here cuz im on an island :bawling:

when i watch the class what are some good signs that it is a good gym?

Hey, I saw on your sig that you train at Pacific Taekwon-do and is that the place where your master is Daniel Kim?. Back to the subject now, You probably are in WTF Taekwon-do where they focus more on the sport aspect of TKD and if you want you can switch, It's really up to you but I would suggest going to a ITF Tae Kwon Do school which ITF focuses more on self-defense.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in US, hawaii and i doubt anyone would know a good gym here cuz im on an island :bawling:

when i watch the class what are some good signs that it is a good gym?

Hey, I saw on your sig that you train at Pacific Taekwon-do and is that the place where your master is Daniel Kim?. Back to the subject now, You probably are in WTF Taekwon-do where they focus more on the sport aspect of TKD and if you want you can switch, It's really up to you but I would suggest going to a ITF Tae Kwon Do school which ITF focuses more on self-defense.

master daniel kim use to be incharge here but now he has made his own dojang, and now master kwan is incharge.

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

:lol:Dude, go with the MT. I did Tkd for 3 years and I liked it and It did work for me on the street. But MT is way better for self defense and really pushes u to the limits. Fighting is easy, training is hard. Don't kid yourself MT training is one of the toughest and most painful. As Mart said see if they have any ranked fighters, but be careful as a lot of people compete in kickboxing and say Muy Thai. Another good indicator is the guard they use. If their hands are up on both side of their head like in the movies beware. It should look almost exactly like a good boxing guard. I thought Hawai had tons of good MA schools? I've seen a few fighters in MMA's come from there. If u have no other options then take the TKD. It's still useful. :roll:

Donkey

:lol:Dude, go with the MT. I did Tkd for 3 years and I liked it and It did work for me on the street. But MT is way better for self defense and really pushes u to the limits. Fighting is easy, training is hard. Don't kid yourself MT training is one of the toughest and most painful. As Mart said see if they have any ranked fighters, but be careful as a lot of people compete in kickboxing and say Muy Thai. Another good indicator is the guard they use. If their hands are up on both side of their head like in the movies beware. It should look almost exactly like a good boxing guard. I thought Hawai had tons of good MA schools? I've seen a few fighters in MMA's come from there. If u have no other options then take the TKD. It's still useful. :roll:

there are some top ufc fighters that live in hawaii. but yeah i really am interested into muay thai.

so what ur trying to say is if theyre guard is by the side of their head its good?

my friend was taught from a good gym, and he taught me to put my guard infront of my face just below the eyes and to cover ur nose/chin.

:lol: No, if its at the side of the face it's bad. The guard your friend taught u sounds like the right one. What other MA's are available to u?

Donkey

Yeah gaurd should be high but to the front. Watch out for if the gaurd is below the chin as well. But remember when you watch that some there will be beginers as well. If they have produced or currently have champions thats a good sign. Only make sure its the same instructor, Donkey will know what i mean. Sometimes the class gets handed over to another instructor, usually from the same gym but the standard goes down.

Seize the day!

do people that are the same age and size as me take muay thai too?

and what if im the only youngster in the gym? should i take the class anyway?

Yeah people your age do thai boxing in thailiand they start when they are kids.

If you are they youngest doesnt matter. Someone is going to be the youngest in the club.

You are at an advantage. I wish i had started earlier.

Go to a class and join in that will asnwer alot of your questions. It wont kill you. But it might be a bit harder than what your used to.

:) :wink:

Seize the day!

If you feel that you'll like Muay Thai more then go for it. My first, and only (for now), martial art was Muay Thai. I started at 16 and I'm a skinny guy. Just suck it up and go with it. At the end of day you'll feel great for surviving the training.