• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i use the sideways stance....yet i manage to block kicks with my shins with no problem, its just something that you get used to doing , you learn to adapt to what ever stance that you are comfortable with.....i have fought individuals that use the straight on boxer stance and i have been able to fight very effectively using that stance even with the low kicks....it may just be me, but it is something that i simply got used to over the years of training i supposse/.

Do you fight with a right leg or left leg lead? Either way one of their legs is going to be near impossible to check from a bladed stance If they throw with any speed or intent at all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i alternate my legs and stances...i can block both of their legs just fine, from one side i can easily block shin to shin, from the all i have to do is make a slight turn in the angle of my leg and i can block their other one, if i want i can use this angle and turn to change my stance all together and allow me to get in close and block their leg up into them, make them lose balance and start in with the arms. It has worked for over 20 yrs for me

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Almost the same story as GrandMasterChen, and I do mostly TKD. I use the sideways stance as often as I can for over two years and has helped me alot. It's the only way to go, especially if you are into multi-kick combos. Shin blocks, counters, and the like shouldn't be a problem if you are moving properly in the stance and aren't stationary.

It also makes front leg kicks more defensive, or instantaneous, and back leg kicks more powerful because of the hip torque.

People I spar who go in a forward, square stance are usually kicked in the gut pretty easily. People I've fought who do as I do, or slightly differently I find are the toughest to face. One guy in particular has a very similar style, but more experience, and enjoys messing with my mind in terms of timing.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

:lol: When I trained TKD it was as delta1 said leg checks and footwork. For some reason it's really hard to get rid of that sideways stance now that I train MT. We also do alot of modified clinching in TKD were u move in to get inside the kick. Don't discount the stance though. It alllows for very powerful application of certain kicks such as side, spin, back and axe.It also presents a lot less body area to attack. Like u MT prefers the square approach but because everyone uses it this makes the side attack a good method of temporarily confusing your opponent.

it also puts the power limbs (the rear ones) further from your opponent, taking you more time to strike. Also, it limits mobility. you can move forward and backward just fine, but angling is slower.

target choice really isn't limited. your centerline target are limited, is all. I can still hit your calves, sciatic, liver, small of the back, back or the neck, etc. - it's merely a different target area.

I fight in whatever stance makes my opponent most uncomfortable. For example, if they prefer closed, I will keep chaning to open stance. To block kicks, I prefer to move in and jam the kick, rather than move away since moving away can put you in kicking distance. Another effective block is to bring your leg up as high as theirs or bring your leg up to your elbow so together they create a shield blocking from your head down to your knee.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

I liked that block too, until I realized that I was thinking too defensively. The only way to win is to think offensively - don't block for the sake of blocking if you want to arrive on top.

Actually I'm reminded of a funny story of then I was less than a year in training. I used that very block on a guy who managed to confuse me as to whether he was going to lunge into a kick of punch me. He started a roundhouse and I brought my knee up. Up... up - WHAP. I smashed my knee into me elbow so hard I had to stop sparring.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

:lol: Well seven I agree with u but I think u miss my point. I also do MT and I only use it as ebmb says to throw my opponent of, u know changing stances to keep your opponent off balance. And yes it has it's risks but u gotta try as much different things as u can to see what works :D

Donkey

I liked that block too, until I realized that I was thinking too defensively. The only way to win is to think offensively - don't block for the sake of blocking if you want to arrive on top.

Actually, if done correctly, you have the front hand to the head target or if you angle your landing, you have the rear hand to the body.

If you are stepping in to jam their kicks, then you have the body targets as you angle in.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

• 1 month later...

i didnt think tkd fighters had any need to block their legs.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 1 month later...

When I took Tae Kwon Do, we were taught to fight only exposing one side of the body. After switching styles, it was difficult for me to not use this so much because I took for so long. However, it sometimes works well depending on the opponent. In general, I don't think it's the best or most realistic approach.