• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

some techniques against sparring people with long legs?

i have a very huge problem when i verse people with long legs, i feel its too much of an advantage. i dont like versing against my friend because he has long legs and every time i would move in for the kick he would just cut kick me. its quite fustrating, so i want to know what are some great techniques to scoring points against long leggers. faking techniques, some jukes, solutoins, tips, etc. anything please.

thanks alot advice is appreciated.

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess I'm one ofthose long legged people you'd have problems with also, so maybe I can help. My inseam is 36" and I'm 6'6" tall.

I'd suggest angling yoru attack and defense. By that I mean, don't just go straight at the guy, but rather angle left/right of his attack to close the distance. Also, you should be able to effectively deflect/block his legs as you angle in, thus giving you more of an opening. These are a few of the techniques we work on often in class, and they do work.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've got very short legs so I have the same trouble a lot. I've found what works best is to start the match very very close to your opponent, and do everything you can to stay there. You can kick easily from there and i'ts harder for them. using it against them, so to speak.

:D Yeah I Know. I'm 5'8" and I weigh 200lbs. When I fought WTF I dropped to 156 and the guys were still 6'2". The style that worked for me was basically the constant circle. I keep circling until the guy adjusts to face me then I attack. As the little guy I always attack first because I can't wait for long legs to get his range or I'm dead. Also I'm either close or too far away, never within range of his kicks. What really works being shorter are punches to the body. The tall guys couldn't adjust because I was so much lower than them. If your shorter don't do the typical TKD thing were 2 guys face off bobbing up or down. Always circle, it confuses the crap out of them and lets u dictate the fight. :P

Donkey

I agree with Fat Donkey on the circling part. Keep moving. A stationary target is generally an easier target to hit. Moving left for a while,then changing to right quickly and then back again will make it harder for your opponent to adjust and hit a target (you).

I don't agree that staying in close will work, but in TKD (depending on the rules of course) punches are discouraged often times, and yes, it's harder to kick someone in close. In my system, we use hands and feet both, and NEVER head kicks because the groin is a viable target for us...as is every other part of the body.

Keep moving, angle your attacks and counters, get in close and then get out fast..but above all...keep moving.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The basic rule for short people is to get inside your opponents reach. You have to stay close to him, where you can kick, yet your opponents kicks are jammed by your body. You have to watch out for him to do retreating attacks though, as well as hop back kicks and such.

Fake to get inside...do your stuff, and then back out to a non effective range again....non effective meaning non effective for both fighters. Make sure you do some retreating attacks to back out, so that you dont get caught with a technique moving back through your opponents effective range.

I've got one technique where you can dodge a roundhouse with people with long legs and this is how you do it: When that person throws a roundhouse you just 90 degree avoid if you know what this is and side step also...

Your tyring to meet kicks with kicks. Bad.

If he works low go high and vice versa

otherwise you end up playing his game.

if he is kicking he is off balance so hit him.

I know you have to break the range etc, but if you cant do that then he is a better fighter than you. :)

Seize the day!