Self Defense for Women...questions

Women's self defense methods.....

1. Kick to the groin

2. Kick to the groin

3. Kick to the groin

4. Pull Hair

5. Use nails

6. Scream really really loud

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women's self defense methods.....

1. Kick to the groin

2. Kick to the groin

3. Kick to the groin

4. Pull Hair

5. Use nails

6. Scream really really loud

I'm going to go with the assumption that this post was meant as humor, and not in seriousness? I certainly hope it was meant as such, as #'s 1-4 are TERRIBLE things to teach a woman as "effective" means of defending themselves against an attack by a man. :roll:

If it was not meant as humor, please..let me know and I'll explain why..

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I agree with the general feeling that most SD classes are rubbish or unhelpful.

When I was still at comprehensive school (high school equivalent) all the 15 & 16 year old girls had to take a compulsory 6-week SD course as part of PE class. We were taught by a TKD instructor and his assistant. The course was mainly quite good, but there were a lot of students and only 2 instructors. Also, we only ever did stand-up techniques - no ground defence work at all. Because each session was short and the course didn't last very long we didn't really learn very much. Those girls who didn't go on to do a martial art, or even to do another self-defence course, will be unprepared against a real-life defence situation, as much of the course we did at school will now have been forgotten by my classmates.

I agree that the environment of an MA class isn't for everyone and I do feel that the whole culture of MA still has a bit of a 'boys club', 'all the lads together' type feel about it, even though that is (very) slowly changing. However, if women want to do a SD course, but not train regularly in MA then I think that the whole structure of SD courses should be overhauled. You can't learn realistic self-defence in a couple of sessions - nor can it be learned in a women-only setting. Women need to practice fighting off male attackers to get the feel of what it would be like if they ever were attacked.

Also, more emphasis should be placed on the fact that women who have been on a SD course should go back for regular 'top-ups' of their knowledge, as even the most intelligent person is bound to forget some of what they learned after 6 months or a year or so. I think SD instructors should also encourage their students to practice their knowledge at home, even if it is only occasionally.

My instructor runs a weekly freestyle self-defence class, for women and men. He incorporates lots of aspects of SD, but emphasises to each new-starter that it isn't just a course for x number of weeks - learning SD techniques is an on-going process. We have quite a few women who come to the SD classes but who don't want to train in the regular karate classes, which is fair enough, MA isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, I think that by taking an ongoing SD class they are getting better self-protection than if they just took a 6 week course or (even worse) a one-off session.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I am apprehensive as an instructor to "get physical" with a female student. I do make it realistic but..... ground struggling? It is nessesary and I see this but how do you convey to the female students that it is nessesary and how do you keep it professional? It is a touchy subject to me.

Two weeks ago I asked the girl who was taking a little bit of the class what she would like to practice and she asked for rear attacks. She seemed comfortable with it and she actually threw me to the ground a few times. She walked out seeming very happy but hasn't been back since.. ugggghhh.

it's a touchy subject, of course, but if a woman really wants a good bit of knowledge, i'm sure she'd be fine with it. Just don't tell her she smells good or something. Cause that's kinda creepy.

LOL, that would be pretty creepy. YIKES!! "mmmm you smell good" ...that would go over well. SHEESH

Well, I could imagine that I simply need to set down guidelines and only work with the level that the woman is comfortable with(well of course). She was definately exhilerated that she was able to throw a big dude to the ground. I guess the people at the front desk said that she came up raving about it.

I just want to appeal to these gals because I am in this for the sake of helping equip women and children in combatting perps and bastards that attack them. I want a class with high standards, hi expectations and very long duration (I believe this is what is required). What more could they ask for? They have a big rag doll they can beat on. ;-)

If I had to guess, it sounds like she probably felt like once she was shown how to do a few techniques, she got what she came for.

I think a lot of folks have the same attitude about taking 'self defense' classes. They figure after being shown how to do several self defense moves, that's all there is to it and they don't need to invest money and time in the 'practice' sessions - that they can do that on their own.

Just a hunch.

BTW - is it ok to tell her if she smells really bad? :D (just kidding!)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Guys - don't say either... that way you won't have to pay for expensive dental treatment for when she clobbers you in the mouth!! :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!