• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu Kata - Chinto

poppa4pump1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmm --- you know I never thought of that! I heard that story behind the kata was that it was taking place on a boat....anyone else hear that?

Perhaps the answer isn't in IsshinRyu, but ShorinRyu where it came from. I know that Matsubayshi and Kobiyashi ShorinRyu versions of Chinto incorporate the jump kick.

As far as never leave you feet. I've never heard that when I practiced I-Ryu. Is it your instructors rule of thumb? Cause there are two more times you will leave your feet in katas --- there is a similiar jump in Kusaku and a jump spin crescent kick --- also in Kusanku.

Hope your question gets answered, I'll be watching as I am also interested

KarateForums.com Sempai

I just emailed my sensei (6th Dan) with the same question and hope to have an answer tonight that I'll post. Funny, I really never gave it much thought either, so I want to know to! lol

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

As I understand the bunki, you aren't really kicking in the air. You're grabbing you're opponent (hair, shoulder, arm, head, lapel) stepping up on him or kneeing him, kicking his back leg or chin then throwing him to the ground. In this case though, when you throw the kick, you are fully anchored on to you're opponent, not in the air. Just look at the hand position.

Likewise there is a place in Chinto where you grab your own arm a couple of times, in that situation it is done to simulate grabbing up on your opponents arm. In Karate there are several movements that are practiced a certain way during solitary exercise such as kata, but in application they are applied slightly differently when there is another body to apply them to.

The "jump kick" in Chinto is a favorite Okinawan kick that I practice similarly in both Kusanku Dai and San Se Ryu. They like to raise one knee and then kick with the foot they were standing on. In application the raising of the first knee can be a step up on an opponent, a parry of another kick, or a knee. But as a rule they don't use it to go flying at their opponent. Instead it's more of a utilitarian kick, not so much a power kick.

Also I was told Chinto based it off of a fight he had on a bridge overlooking a river.

I haven't seen the Isshin-ryu Chinto but I assume it is similar to the one I practice since they are both based on Shorin-ryu's. I hope this helps.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

OK...this is what I got in reply to my own sensei (6th Dan) regarding the jumping kick in Chinto.

"First off please remember that Chinto is a chinese form and that Bunkai is subjective. If you look at the move right before the kick, you are grabbing and pulling the opponent toward you. The first movement with the leg is a fake or knee to the groin or inside of the thigh to open up the legs for the second part. The second part or actual kick would be to the groin, inside knee, or pressure points in the thigh."

I hope this helps?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

As I understand the bunki, you aren't really kicking in the air. You're grabbing you're opponent (hair, shoulder, arm, head, lapel) stepping up on him or kneeing him, kicking his back leg or chin then throwing him to the ground. In this case though, when you throw the kick, you are fully anchored on to you're opponent, not in the air. Just look at the hand position.

Does anyone have a link to a vid of either the I-Ryu or Shorin-Ryu version of this kata? It sounds interesting, especially the application given above.

Thanks!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I don't know if this link does it justice...they are still photos:

http://www.isshinryu.com/chinto3.htm

Also, in I-RYU --- it is a DOUBLE jump front kick

In shorinRyu is is a jump front kick

Interesting site and great photos. It is however, quite a bit different in many of the movements from the Matsumura Seito Shorinryu version that I do.

I never heard of that branch of ShorinRyu, I knew there were more than the 3 popular ones....is yours like Matsubayshi, Shobayashi, Kobiyashi or a different branch all together?

KarateForums.com Sempai