• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do u tell "legit" BJJ from the fake?

:-? I'm looking to join a BJJ school and I finally found one with Gracie afiiliations, but during my search I saw a lot of people claiming to be BJJ practitioners! How can this be? BJJ is relatively new on the scene so how come everybody and his dog is a BJJ master? How do u tell the genuine article from the crap? :bawling:

Donkey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Usually a certificate from the Brazilian Federation is the best way to verify whether or not someone is legit. Another way is to check BJJ.org and trace the teachers lineage (though its a bit out of date).

You could also visit different websites (preferably BJJ ones) and simply ask around for someone's credentials.

Pretty much NO ONE should claim to be a "master." If you take real BJJ for a few months you'll be able to tell the difference between real bjj and fake. It would be like trying to fake a physics doctorate and teach class :).

What schools are you looking at? Maybe we can help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the instructor's name?

Also, a good way to tell is by the seminars that take place at the school. Any reputable school is likely to have visiting black belts come once every six months or year or so to teach a seminar and to handle promotions! For example, Royler Gracie came to our school a few weeks ago...my teacher is a purple under Royler.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!