• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You COULD always just hit them where it's most painful, as most people say. But I'm of the opinion that most guys just aren't going to let you do that. Especially if they know how to fight as well.

Perhaps it's better to know about controlling your opponent through clinching, so that you CAN more easily hit them, or take 'em down. After all, EVERYBODY punches.

-John

• 3 weeks later...

IF its a street fight with more than 1 opponet you could always try to find a weapon of somesort , aim for legs and arms (if weapon is blunt object) to disable them , then run , Dont stay there to finish the job cause then they have the better over u in court ( if it goes thst far )

the best way to get hit is to not get hit at all

on the street the good ol one-two is very effective. most people cant block a hard punch to the face without gloves on or anything, so just hit the bastard. if youre outnumbered though, forget it and just run.

a broken arm throws no punches

There are situations where running is just impossible and that one has no choice but to stand and fight for his life. In times like this that the "one hit one kill" abilities taught in some traditional kung fu and karate styles come in very handy. The knowledge of vital areas and more importantly the ABILITY to hit them accurately and effectively under stress, is an important factor as well. All the above have to be combined with a cool head. Yes I know that it is easier said than done but if you aim your training for real martial abilities and power there is no reason why you should not create some destructive weapons other than the KO punch on the chin and the kick in nuts (useful as they may be in certain situations). Not everyone is going to be a Mas. Oyama but even Mas. said that there was a technique behind his power - a way of hitting, tensioning etc.- it is all a matter of correct training with a real instructor, who knows his MA, and of course a matter of priorities.

Another important factor is hitting first when you have a chance. Some times street fights start with verbal comfrontations, eg "I am going to break your......" or "give me your money" etc. If you are well trained and aware you should not even let them finish the sentence and hit them when and where they are most vulnerable. In a situation like this your first hit should put the first guy down, and while he is on his way down you should be hitting the second guy in a vital area. Taking the initiative when there is no other choice, and having the skill and training to back it up can save you from getting beaten to a pulp. Last week, here in Rio, a friend of mine told me that a Karate black belt (did not mention the style) friend of his was approached by a man who pulled a knife in an apparent mugging attempt. The black belt did not wait and put the mugger down with a single punch. The criminal was taken to hopital with liver damage. Just an example. This guy was no Mas. Oyama he was just a well trained black belt whose training gave him the ability to put an armed mugger in hospital with one blow, (I wonder who called for the ambulance because I wouldn´t), and at black belt level one should be able to do that.

I think that if one studies the martial arts for self defense then one should give priority to the martial aspects and consequently strive to create destructive power, speed and the warrior spirit before anything else, because there are days that for whatever reason one just cannot run and has to stand and fight to survive.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

thats true, i completely forgot about one of my favorite manuevers- punching someone in the throat. or failing that the neck. but the throat is great- dude cant breath after that, hes not an issue anymore.

and let me say bravo for being one of the few who realize that serious force is sometimes necessary, even without actually being attacked but for percieving a threat; and that destructive power is an essential part of self defense. also for recognizing that blackbelts should actually have such abilities as you described, not just done some * test.

one thought though- a groin kick is not always enough to stop a guy, especially if you have to spend time dispatching a friend of his.

y'know, there was never really a question of not using force in the chinese martial arts.

the problem as i see it, is that a lot of people on the outside see the fancy forms and think that is all there is to it.

it has always been said that the martial arts teaches you to not fight and that you should avoid if at all possible.

what people never mention is that most martial arts also teach you that if you are going to hit someone, mean it.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Thanks Thuggish,

I believe that we think alike. The importance of the first strike when a threat is perceived cannot be overstressed. All the awareness in the world will not be good for anything if one does not use it to gain the upperhand with a pre-emptive strike to finish off a would be attacker.

By the way your punch to the neck or throat technique, is it from your kung fu training or does this technique exist in Muay Thai as well?

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

I have been in a cave for along time and it's time for me to move back into a metropolis, So I after thinking about it my first answer was to stay away from those areas. Now I'm thinking if you live in a populated area I would think that from time to time you confronted with this scenario. Do not focus on anyone person, when the opportunities present themselfs, stirke fast and hard regardless of the target presented. Constantly move keeping a few between you and the many. If given the chance to retreat......pardon me if I use this....but Run Forest Run!......Pulling out a 9 and busting a cap came to mind, but then it will also in your enimies mind. Other than that I would stick to my first rule and just stay away from that area. Walk around.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

well, muay thai doesnt really (or typically, i guess) teach you where to hit people on the street to cause major damage... but its kind of common sense, you know? (that is to say punching a throat is not allowed in mt ring fights) my kung fu experience was my first martial arts experience, and brief as it was (not very impressed) it did get me in the right mindset as far as breaking arms, punching throats, etc. however, i wouldnt necessarily give it credit- its just kind of common sense. just like kicking the knee. mt guys arent allowed to do it, but anyone whos got any smarts knows what itll do, and would hopefully think to do it outside the ring to end a fight just like that. punching a throat, to me, is not so much a "technique" differing from punching a face, just an aiming issue.