• Brazilian

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok from what I have heard judo has better throws and bjj is better on the groung. I will accept that, but this is how I look at it. The two meet on the street and since they are standing up and not laying in the middle of the road , the judo player throws the bjj to the concrete, fight over ...I will choose judo to learn.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I have only worked with small circle but really like the locks & throws.We work them in with our TKD for self defense. We are also having a Aikido seminar in July & I can't wait....more chances for me to get tossed around.. :o

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

Ok from what I have heard judo has better throws and bjj is better on the groung. I will accept that, but this is how I look at it. The two meet on the street and since they are standing up and not laying in the middle of the road , the judo player throws the bjj to the concrete, fight over ...I will choose judo to learn.

Its that very mentality that led to Judo not being as effective on the ground- they figured that a solid throw would incapacitate your opponent. It often can, but remember that BJJ guys know how to break fall too. Take it a step further, Judo is about getting the nice looking throw to get ippon- often before that throw occurs, they'll fall to the ground the other times they attempt it. BJJ guys dont care how they take you down, as long as they take you down (doesnt have to be an ippon).

Judo incorporates a lot of groundwork and judoists have done very well in competitions vs bjjers. It is the practitioner that makes the biggest difference.

As to your comment about the breakfalling, trust me... trying to break your fall on concrete... doesn't work too well. To add, i once uke'd for a 3-time junior national judo champion... and he threw me so cleanly, and so fast, that even with my many many years of breakfall training, i was still unable to make a clean break... and this was with his assist. Had it been on concrete, and without his assist, i'm pretty dang sure my hip and arm would have been shattered.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro