• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Small Circle or BJJ or TJJ

What is your favorite jujitsu?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite jujitsu?

• Small Circle
    • Brazilian

Sport Judo is about getting a nice looking throw for point. REAL judo is about getting your opponent off balance, air born, and driving his head into the ground. I'm not saying doing that to an experienced BJJ'er is easy, but seriously, breakfalling on concrete doesn't help too much. If the fight goes to the ground, BJJ has a slight edge, but only slight.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sport Judo is about getting a nice looking throw for point. REAL judo is about getting your opponent off balance, air born, and driving his head into the ground. I'm not saying doing that to an experienced BJJ'er is easy, but seriously, breakfalling on concrete doesn't help too much. If the fight goes to the ground, BJJ has a slight edge, but only slight.

Yup. The weak throws come from bad reffing. You shouldn't get an ippon if a person is able to roll out of a throw....it's not Kano's judo. Throws are meant to slam and stun people, not to look nice.

sj

Judo incorporates a lot of groundwork and judoists have done very well in competitions vs bjjers. It is the practitioner that makes the biggest difference.

As to your comment about the breakfalling, trust me... trying to break your fall on concrete... doesn't work too well. To add, i once uke'd for a 3-time junior national judo champion... and he threw me so cleanly, and so fast, that even with my many many years of breakfall training, i was still unable to make a clean break... and this was with his assist. Had it been on concrete, and without his assist, i'm pretty dang sure my hip and arm would have been shattered.

I like ippon seoi nage with a hard pull up on the end. It's nothing but tail bone that hits the floor. :P

If you land a hard throw on concrete, yes its going to be very damaging. I think a few of you have misread my post- what Im saying is that even in matches won by ippon, the fight OFTEN goes to the ground in Judo competitions through simple means (guy tries a throw and insists- throw doesnt happen but they fall to the ground). BJJ guys arent stupid- we know judo wins on the feet and BJJ on the ground. You'll see alot of BJJ guys keep their center of gravity real low so that if they get thrown, its not going to be hard- in other words, they stall.

umm... a few years back i had a friendly competition with a bb bjjer. To decrease the chance of injury, we started on our knees. We locked-in, i twisted around and slammed his head into the mat. Had i not held back, and there not been a mat, he would have been out cold.

I know what you're trying to say Gumbi, but the mat gives a misinterpretation of the lethality of certain techniques. As well, the attitudes ingrained through competitions can 'hold one back,' thereby giving a false impression as to what works and what doesn't, in a 'real' confrontation.

btw, aren't we on a tangent?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

[quote="White Warlock"]umm... a few years back i had a friendly competition with a bb bjjer. To decrease the chance of injury, we started on our [b]knees[/b]. We locked-in, i twisted around and slammed his head into the mat. Had i not held back, and there not been a mat, he would have been out cold. [/quote] does bb stand for black belt or blue belt? If black belt, who?

bb stands for black belt. Norbert is his name. He also studied muay thai and boxing, and was the asst instructor for san soo at my ol' haunt. Your questions seem somewhat challenging. Do remember, i've been studying the arts for over 25 years, so i'm no pushover... nor was he. :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Nevermind, this thread is over.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, btw many, if not MOST BJJ schools teach judo throws and wrestling takedowns.