• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Small Circle or BJJ or TJJ

What is your favorite jujitsu?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite jujitsu?

• Small Circle
    • Brazilian

Bjj has much better groundwork than Judo, but Judo has much better throws and such. Bjj is also good for street application. Easy to get out of trouble if you find yourself on the bottom, and if you end up on top, you're never going to get bucked off.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the last time, BJJ does NOT have better ground work than Judo. They simply FOCUS their training on the ground. Judo's ground game isn't even really a lot different than BJJ. I'm as much of a BJJ fan as the next guy, that's because I LIKE focusing on the ground grappling...it isn't because BJJ is better, its just different.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

For the last time, BJJ does NOT have better ground work than Judo. They simply FOCUS their training on the ground. Judo's ground game isn't even really a lot different than BJJ. I'm as much of a BJJ fan as the next guy, that's because I LIKE focusing on the ground grappling...it isn't because BJJ is better, its just different.

I'm going to disagree a little on the grounds (no pun intended) that the average bjj guy knows more moves, notably neck cranks and leg locks. When (as you said) you emphasize one thing so much, there's bound to be more innovation in that area.

I agree with WolverineGuy, BJJ doesn't have more groundwork than Judo, it's just that judo focuses more on the throws while BJJ focuses TOO MUCH on the ground. In my opinion, Judo is a more well rounded Grappling art than BJJ. And BJJ doesn't have more ground thechniques than Judo, They basically have the same amount of ground technique.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is your best choice but on the topic about BJJ being better than Judo, I've heard that some of the Gracie's like Helio went to a Judo instrcutor in Brazil but all I know is that Maeda taught the Gracie's some Judo.

Maeda brought his flavor of jujutsu to the gracies and tgave them the foundation with which they developed their art. It should be noted that (even the Gracies say this) Maeda taught them the newaza from Judo primarily, even though he had experience in other arts (namely, jujutsu). It remains unclear why he called it jujutsu (probably not to conflict with Kano).

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Isn't this thread supposed to be about BJJ, TJJ, and Small Circle?

All I see is a dispute about wether Judo is better than BJJ and vice versa! Not that I mind personally but keep it respectful.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

It was my understanding that Maeda taught Gracie kosen judo. Kosen focuses 90% on groundwork. It was through the developement of Kosen judo in japan that we get the guard position, and all of it's variations (spider guard ect.) The pinning positions and the submissions such as cross body armbar and the like. The kosen was created in order to expand on the grappling concepts that Kano learned from the Fusen ryu jujitsu guy's that the kodoakn lost to so badly. If anyone doubts this info you can get the Kosen judo tapes which show this material in detail. The only drawbacks are that the tapes were made in 1920 I belive and they are in japanese. But they do show the various guard positions, and several transitions into submissions from these positions. And you can get "judo a-z" which shows you the banned throws, leg locks, heel hooks, spine locks and neck cranks from pre 1947 judo.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

Maeda was both a student of Classical Ju Jitsu and Kano's Judo- he knew a bit of both. The reason why he called his art Ju Jitsu when he fought (and NOT judo) was because at the time the kodokhan did not allow challenge matches (this was a primary reason people disliked Classical Ju Jitsu- they looked like bullies and resembled pitbulls by fighting each other all the time).