• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Small Circle or BJJ or TJJ

What is your favorite jujitsu?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite jujitsu?

• Small Circle
    • Brazilian

Hi everyone. I am a tkd practitioner, and while I can handle the stand up game decently, I am looking to supplement ny training by adding some jujitsu, in hopes to become more well rounded. I decided jujitsu over judo because not too many street altercations happen in gis.

Due to expenses, I will only be able to attend one school. What are the differences if any between Wally Jay's small circle jujitsu, Gracie BJJ and traditional Jujitsu? Which would compliment a striking art the best?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as real world applications, BJJ is obviously you're best solution. As for ruling out Judo, its more applicable than TJJ. I have yet to hear a good thing about small circle jiu jitsu or whatever it is- Looks more like TJJ than BJJ. Generally, you want to be able to actively spar with your opponents in whatever style you take up- and I mean spar full out where you try to get him and try your best to keep him from getting you- not sparring where you just go through the motions like you would a kata.

Hapkido is cool, it's Korean Jujitsu with more kicks. BJJ is the best on the ground in terms of submissions. Judo is another art you may consider, it teaches throwing and good positioning when hitting the ground. I'd suggest you look into BJJ and judo. A deadly combo.

sj

PS: Judo is usally a lot cheaper. :D

Judo is usually much cheaper than BJJ, however, you have to take into account what the quality of skill of the Judoka you're learning under is. (lot more Judo BB's than Jiu Jitsu BB's)

As far as Hapkido having ANY ground work, Im surprised to hear this- I never thought it had any. If anyone saw Gracies in Action, the Hapkido instructors seem to not know how to escape from the mounted position, let alone prevent a basic takedown.

Good hapkido has a lot of grappling. Its quite a complete art.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Judo is usually much cheaper than BJJ, however, you have to take into account what the quality of skill of the Judoka you're learning under is. (lot more Judo BB's than Jiu Jitsu BB's)

As far as Hapkido having ANY ground work, Im surprised to hear this- I never thought it had any. If anyone saw Gracies in Action, the Hapkido instructors seem to not know how to escape from the mounted position, let alone prevent a basic takedown.

I can say that the standard in Ontario Canada for judo black belts is high. It takes about 8 years, and you are graded by a group of high ranking black belts in judo in Toronto. No McDojo here. You also need to win tournaments to earn points towards your black belt as well as attend ref seminars to continue learning about the finer aspects of the sport.

I have yet to see a weak judo black belt in Ontario, keeping in mind judo in most dojo is a standing grappling art. If you want more ground work, look around you'll find it.

Hapkido includes aspects of Yudo, Korean Judo. Many hapkido clubs wear judo gi's.

Hapkido has plenty of ground work. It is very complete and effective. The training methods are usually more rigorous in BJJ. Basically Hapkido will do you well as will BJJ. Hapkido is the closest thing I've seen to Budo Taijutsu and Real Japanese Jujutsu. I'd go to some schools and train with them and see what fits you better.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

A good Judo school will have you just as proficient in grappling as any bjj school will. that is a known fact.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/