• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Shiai is coming up!

krunchyfrogg

Do others call their promotion ceremonies shiai's?

I'm just curious, because sometimes my dojo seems so traditional, and at other times, it seems like they do things like no other school.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'm testing to go from white to green belt, and advancing two belts (my dojo goes white, yellow, green) is something that has only been done once before in this dojo's 25 year history!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow, krunchyfrogg, congratulations on advancing 2 belts! :up:

I hope your shiai goes well.

We just call our promotion days 'kyu grade day' and 'dan grade day' - hmm, guess what happens on each day?? We're obviously a bit unimaginative in the FSK... :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I used to have more of a formal testing process, but now I just watch the students during every class, and when I see that a student is where I want them to be for their next belt, and that they have been working hard, I just call them to the front of the class and announce to them they they are promoted to their next belt. Basically, I don't make a big deal of it, as the skill advancement is more important (to me anyway) than the attaining a different colored belt and that is the message I try to convey to them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"