• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KI is real; media hype has simply distorted it.

In less than 15 minutes a good instructor can demonstrate all basic principals of KI. But the idea of 'mastering' KI reminds me of what I saw on the cover to the box for the game Othello, '15 minutes to learn, a life time to master'.

The kanji that is currently used to write KI is this 気 the original kanji is this 氣. In its most basic translation, KI is defined as energy but can also mean spirit or mind.

But these are direct translations, it’s really impossible to clearly define certain Japanese words directly into English and have their true meaning completely understood.

As you may already know, kanji is pictographically based, that is the origin of each kanji comes from a picture used to represent a concept.

If we look at the kanji 氣 more closely we can understand the meaning of KI a little better. It’s really made up of two parts and without getting to technical let’s just call them ‘the top’ and ‘what’s in the middle’. The top part means some thing like smoke or vapor. And what’s in the middle is actually the kanji for rice, which was and still is the basic staple to the Japanese diet, and is where you get your ‘energy’. So if we combined the two in a philosophical sort of way and redefine the word KI, it’s ‘the power that can’t be seen’.

Like I said, you really can not directly translate some kanji in concrete terms, remember they started out as pictographs a couple of thousand years ago, and since a picture is worth a thousand words, in some cases you’d need that many to define some kanji.

Is KI real, does it exist?

Of course.

Can you do magical stuff with KI?

Nope. I would have to say cool and amazing stuff, but nothing supernatural, nothing that circumvents any natural laws of physics or gravity.

KI is the natural energy that exists equally in all beings and each person may develop his or her KI to its full potential. It’s simple, 15 minutes to learn; a lifetime to master.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent description Jem618.

I have practised Ki Aikido for twelve and a half years. It is very difficult to explain KI, and when you demonstrate it's uses people are often very sceptical.

each person may develop his or her KI to its full potential

This is very true. We all have Ki, but to what extent it is developed is down to us. All arts have Ki, but it's not always recognised. Ki makes you very aware, so somebody you think is very fast is just very aware - of the partners Ki.

Learning the exercises takes time, but to develop Ki takes a lot longer.

'15 minutes to learn, a life time to master'

So true.

Can you do magical stuff with KI?

Nope. I would have to say cool and amazing stuff, but nothing supernatural

Again true. Some things I have seen, would have to be seen to be believed, but not everybody looks at other arts with an open mind.

Fourth Dan Instructor & Student

I have practised Ki Aikido for twelve and a half years. It is very difficult to explain KI, and when you demonstrate it's uses people are often very sceptical.

Agreed.

Back in Sacramento, over a decade ago, one thing i used to do all the time was stand on the edge of the pool and have my two friends try to knock me in the water (Warning: this is dangerous, so don't try it at home). They would rush me, stand and grapple, push, etc. They would attack separately or in unison. Rarely did i take my feet off the ground, and only occasionally did a 'sacrifice' attack work to get me in the water. Almost all the time, they would be in the water and i would be waving at them from the edge of the pool.

I do recall one time, however, where we were at it again and the landlord came walking by. She said hi to me, i turned my head, waved at her and responded in kind. My friends looked at each other and then, with one finger, one of them pushed me in the water.

The former is an example of ki in effect, the latter... completely devoid of it. My friends were witness to it, and had experienced it firsthand, yet even after knowing full well there's more to it than meets the eye... they maintained their skepticism. After all, why else would they continue to try and continue to find themselves in the water?

Well, okay... maybe because we were having fun. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Nice read folks. I have found a new place to to learn MA and was shown what can be learned (small things). I have studied MA on and off for 2 years and never found the right teacher. I just wish 2 years ago I could have found these fourms to read from. Thx Peddler

Oh, i forgot to mention. Both my friends were influenced by our shenanigans. Both ended up later joining wing chun for a few years, and one eventually entered into the study of aikido. He continues to study aikido to this day.

PhDPeddler, it's a good community, bereft of a lot of posturing and childish oneupsmanship. So yes, i agree. This forum is a good find.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

But these are direct translations, it’s really impossible to clearly define certain Japanese words directly into English and have their true meaning completely understood.

To begin with, I'd suggest looking at the original Chinese, not Japanese. Qi [breath] is different from Yi [mental intent] is different from emotional intent (forget the word), etc.

The former is an example of ki in effect, the latter... completely devoid of it.

Or simply rooting / structure... much like you can tip a sleeping cow but not a wake one... or do you believe that cows use Ki to stand?

or do you believe that cows use Ki to stand?

I believe every living animal has Ki.

Ki is the life energy so when you don't have ki, well, you can guess what state you are in. :lol:

Aikido and Ki are not for everybody. Sometimes people want to learn self defence in a lot shorted amount of time.

It depends what you want out of any art.

I started wanting self defence and keep kit. Although I now have both, this is not really why I still practise.

Firstly, I practise because I love it. It's so interesting and there is always that bit more to learn and that bit better you can do a technique.

Secondly, if I had to sum up in one word what my practise of Ki Aikido has given me, it would be confidence.

Not just confidence in a confrontational situation, but in all aspects of life.

To get up in front of a crowd and talk, or the confidence to do something I wouldn't even have attempted 12 years ago.

:) The good things about these forums is that people can express their opinion. We don't all have to agree, and there are many times when I don't always agree with what I have read, or heard, but I don't disrespect their opinion none the less.

Great forums. :P

Fourth Dan Instructor & Student

• 2 months later...

I was at a training seminar several years ago with Tohei Koichi, and he told us this:

Most people fail to extend the simplest logic or use common sense to solve difficult problems. Moreover, failure to do so leads to greater failures.

He offered the following anecdote:

When you are driving in you car and it starts to rain, you turn on the windshield wipers.

Not turning on the windshield wipers will make it difficult, if not impossible to see and you will probably be involved in an accident. Along with that comes common sense that with the windshield wipers on you keep your eyes on the road and continue your journey. If you stop watching the road and start watching the windshield wipers, you can see what’s up ahead of you, and again, may put yourself in danger. (curve ahead, stoplight, intersection)

The same hold true for life. You have goals and you work your way towards them. When you have a problem, you find a solution to that problem, or it becomes a bigger problem. Once that problem is solved or under control, you have to let it go, and continue on your journey. If you remain focused on all of the small things you lose sight of what you’re after. This is not to say the small things are not important, as they most certainly are. But, if you think about it, probably half of the obstacles in our lives are self-created and the others can, for the most part be solved with simple logic and resolve.

He told us this was a big part of ‘ki’, and extending ‘ki’.

気を出す

Ki is real, it's a natural energy that permeates through all living beings?

I doubt it. Perhaps you confuse Ki for Calories.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.