• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei Keigo Abe

ShotoMan

I have today attended day one of a two day course with Abe Sensei in Bath.

Absolutely excellent!! :)

Primary atention was paid to Tekki Shodan, Nidan and Sandan and applications thereof. He enjoys employing plenty of throwing, take-downs and arm locking techniques.

I also found out that I have been performing yoko geri keagi wrong for the last 20+ years! :)

Keigo Abe has an incredible presence and is a very friendly and enjoyable person to learn from. He even allowed me a photo op, so that was extremely welcome

I just can't wait for tomorrow and day two!

Excellent!

:karate:

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gah, stop making me jealous!! I was going to go to that course, but I've been unable to do so.

Glad you're enjoying it, though - hope tomorrows session is as good.

BTW, what was wrong with your Yoko Geri??

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Day two was as excellent as Day one with Abe Sensei.

I have very much warmed to this man in such a very short time :)

Today concentrated more on strong stances in kiba dachi and zenkutsu dachi. Not so much on length and depth but pure strength. This included exercises with a partner where you had to carry a person of similar weight to yourself, on your back, and in kiba dachi. Then with a partner on your shoulders, you had to perform nami ashi (asd taken from Tekki Shodan)! Yes, quite tiring but still fun!

He worked on body shifting in both kiba dachi and zenkutsu dachi.

Today was also dedicated a lot to the Heian katas.

All in all, an excellent two days.

I was left thinking that he wanted to impart so much more knowledge to us but time had run out!

If he comes to a dojo near you, do make sure you put aside some time to meet him.

:karate:

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

BTW, what was wrong with your Yoko Geri??

Let's say you are in kiba dachi and perform migi yoko geri keagi.

With the supporting leg, do you turn the foot away from the kick so that you can apply the hip or do you just snap the kick to the side, almost like a side-on mae geri using the edge of the foot or heel?

On my course with Abe Sensei, he advised that we in the club (and the whole world for that matter) do this kick incorrectly. He demonstrated the keagi and it was in fact a kekomi but without the thrust! His supporting foot turned away from the kick and back again as the kicking foot was drawn back.

Now I have practiced this (since yesterday, Saturday!) and I have to admit, it does feel correct and the kick has definitely more power behind it, than a slapping effect which is the feedback I felt when not applying the hip turning / foot-away method.

Have I just been leading a sheltered life? Do you all practice keagi the "Abe" way?

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

Hmm, interesting! I've always done Keagi without rotating the supporting foot - I'll have to give Sensei Abe's way a go.

The course sounded excellent - I really wish I'd been able to go.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!