• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello,

I am a BJJ guy and have been doing it for some months now and really enjoying it. But one thing that is strange is that when in the closed-guard (legs wrapped around persons waist and lock ankles) is why don't they just straighten their legs to exert pressure on the waist and you could get a submission just from the squeeeze, or if not, you could at least cause some pain and deprive them of oxygen.

Also you could grab their hands and pull them to stop them pushing your legs off, so then you just squeeze with all your might.

Has anyone ever tried using this technqiue before? In BJJ a scissors is used to the neck called a neck scissors, and it could also be used to the head as well couldn't it?

Personally I have only used it once, a bodyscissor to my younger brother and he was tapping in seconds.

Anyone else try it, and did you succeed in getting a submission?

EOTT

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The reason why you dont see this is because the idea of using a closed guard is to break your opponents base forward- so when you pull your opponent closer, your knees flair out and vice versa. As far as just locking your legs out straight, it really isnt going to do much. You'll allow your opponent to base up where he wants to be, and from there, hes simply going to break your guard and start working on the pass.

If you have long enough legs, you can lock a triangle around your opponent's waist. This works most effectively when you have an opponents back (its used alot in no gi grappling) and thats when you can really squeeze the * out of your opponent AND attack him at the same time. Its a very low percentage sub from the guard, and simply put, you need to open your guard to benefit from most BJJ guard techniques.

It might work against an old person with osteoporosis or something. Generally people are tough enough to withstand it. If someone is sitting there taking it, you might be spending more energy than you're causing them damage. Personally I'd rather have my ribs broken than wuss out and tap to something cheap like that, or knee on belly or anything of that sort.

I sometimes triangle someones waist when we're striking and I really don't want my guard broken. It's still decently easy to move it up to their neck too :)

Body scissors is unpleasant, but not likely going to tap out a experienced guy. Works on newbies though, until they realise that just cause you are uncomfortable doesn't mean you are in danger...

Anyways, figure four from the back can get you in trouble, open to leg locks and him turning over. UNLESS you got a arm trapped in there which will help hold him in place and take away his base if he tries to leg lock you (You turn over and get on top of him still on his back and finish from there)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Body scissors is kind of like the little heel strikes to the kidneys and elbows that people throw when they have someone in their guard, it is more annoying then anything. I haven't seen anyone tap from body scissors before.

When in your guard your primary focus should be controlling your opponents weight and keeping your own hips free so that you can be as active as possible when you attempt a sweep, submission, or defending against strikes and attempts to pass your guard. Focus on the basics and forget fancy stuff like body scissors because they generally don't work.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

Hello,

I am a BJJ guy and have been doing it for some months now and really enjoying it. But one thing that is strange is that when in the closed-guard (legs wrapped around persons waist and lock ankles) is why don't they just straighten their legs to exert pressure on the waist and you could get a submission just from the squeeeze, or if not, you could at least cause some pain and deprive them of oxygen.

Also you could grab their hands and pull them to stop them pushing your legs off, so then you just squeeze with all your might.

Has anyone ever tried using this technqiue before? In BJJ a scissors is used to the neck called a neck scissors, and it could also be used to the head as well couldn't it?

Personally I have only used it once, a bodyscissor to my younger brother and he was tapping in seconds.

Anyone else try it, and did you succeed in getting a submission?

EOTT

Your brother must be a big baby then, because that shouldn't hurt at all.

People don't attempt it because it doesn't do anything.

People don't tap to it because it doesn't hurt.

There once was wrestler who trained bursting flour bags with his legs in the scissor hold, it's said you could tap about anyone with this hold.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

• 2 months later...

The scissor around the body can be painful if applied right but after a few times in it one gets use to it and learns to controll their breathing which eliminates most of the pain.But is effective if the floating ribs are caught but one can still withstand it.