• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial artist or just learning to fight?

in relation to the title of the thread.

i don't think anyone can really just learn to fight without exposing themselves to the other aspects.

the moment you start learning any fighting art, be it boxing, muay thai, jkd or whatever, you are learning what you can do, where your limits are and how to push beyond those limits.

you learn to be efficient, precise, direct.

you refine and redefine the techniques so that you can use them.

you think about how you an use them.

you think about how they can be used against you.

i don't think the fighting style is an art by itself.

painting by itself is not an art.

instead, it is you and how you learn and choose to express the way that makes it an art.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in order to learn to fight. I wanted to protect myself, I wanted to be able to make sure that I'd be the one walking away from the fight if it ever had to happen. I live in a not-so-safe area, so I thought it would be in my best interest.

But then I started and I found something beautiful in it. It's not just about who can hit the hardest and aiming to kick a guy in the nuts. It's not the same thing as perhaps a self defense class that would teach a person only to fend off an attacker and run off (as another current thread discusses). I've gained so much respect for the art and the philosphy. I love the weapons not because of the damage they cause but for the sheer beauty of seeing someone truly be able to control a 6 foot long stick, or a spear, or nunchaku, or anything really. To control one's body in such a way that sometimes brings you to tears.

There is an instructor demo at my dojo this saturday, and I will probably come back to the forums gushing about just how beautiful it was.

Of course, I love to kick things just for the thunk of it, but I really love feeling like I'm doing a sort of super-dance. I think there's beauty in power and feeling it go through you.

That is well said!

I had no idea of the "art" involed in martial arts until I witnessed the instructors in my studio. They create something new and explosive and yes, beautiful when they do something as simple as a low block or punch.

There are people who have studied for years and earned a black belt, but they still, unfortunately, have no art in their moves or in their philosophy, they just know the motions and phrases. (I may be one of them, for all I know.) I don't know why some people are artists and some are not, I can draw a flower, doesn't make me Georgia O'keefe.

I think we should define people just learning to fight with no philosophically or spiritual aspects to their art, Martial Craftsman and the other that does inclulde it is a Martial Artist. :lol:

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

And likewise, we should define people just doing forms and/or point sparring with spiritual and philosophical aspects but no hard contact sparring as dance artists or philosophical/spiritual artists.

If some people want to be stingy with the word artist, I'll be fine with just the martial. However, I would say that the way a skilled grappler can work over a dedicated striker is artful :)

I think we should define people just learning to fight with no philosophically or spiritual aspects to their art, Martial Craftsman and the other that does inclulde it is a Martial Artist.

Why not just call them simply "fighters"? If that's what they're into, and that's what they're all about, just get straight to the point! Besides, from what I've been reading, the "fighters" aren't into titles anyway, so they most likely won't complain about it. :P

I find it amusing how so many think that removing the "fluff" from their training will make them better at their chosen style, and that simply by virtue of practicing a particular style, they will become (if not already are) invincible.

Hehehehe!

:D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Primarily I study martial arts for self-defense. I hope it is not a dis to tell a women to strike and run.... Martial ART is a beautifull thing and should be respected as such especially when practiced to the point where the artist is in complete touch with their body and mind. It is harmony.

However, you all should well know that for the purpose of fighting and practical street application there are a number of other factors that need to be practiced and highlighted. Fighting on the street is an ugly, grimy and painfull thing. It will NOT go down beautifully.

I was joking by the way. That's what this little laughing means. :lol:

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I just remembered something; My old Kenpo instructor used to call the ability to fight and spar "fighting merrit". He would separate it from the lower belts but required good fighting merrit for higher belt ranks. I think that is a perfect way to handle this dispute.

I hadn't checked on this thread for a while and was a bit suprised when I did. I have to say again, I am NOT insulting anyones style or methods or reasons for training. I guess I just think that you have to embrace the whole aspect of your chosen art to really be a martial artist. If I were to join a dojang and ignore the history of the art, not dig into it's origins, and not understand how/why the motions work or what they were derived from I would have to call my self a "fighter". I have only been training since March but I am already totally ate up with my chosen style. I plan on buying more books when money allows and trying to learn everything I can about it. Maybe I'm just too new. Thanks for all of the posts, they are very interesting.

IronZ