• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial artist or just learning to fight?

Hello everyone,

I've seen, both here and elsewhere, and heard comments by people that they don't like the more traditional/strict dojangs/dojos/whatever. It seems that a lot of people prefer to just learn to fight. Basically, if you're not keeping with tradition and want to ignore some of the more philosophical sides of the arts then you really aren't a martial artist, are you? I hope this doesn't sound like a slam, because that's not the intent. It just seems that you would have to encompass the whole aspect of your art to really grasp it. Just a thought.

Good night and Soo Bahk!

IronZ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am taking martial arts strictly for learning how to fight better, have fun, and stay fit (or atleast motivate me to stay fit). There is no doubt that martial arts helps you develop confidence, a better sense of judgement, but that is not why I am taking it, primarily. For confidence, a better sense of judgement, maybe even "inner peace" or enlightenment, I have my religion.

if you're not keeping with tradition and want to ignore some of the more philosophical sides of the arts then you really aren't a martial artist, are you?

Does anyone have a universal definition of "martial artist" that I could use? Because I'm not really sure...

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

(paraphrased) I've seen here comments by people that they don't like the more traditional dojos. It seems that a lot of people prefer to just learn to fight. Basically, if you're not keeping with tradition and want to ignore some of the more philosophical sides of the arts then you really aren't a martial artist, are you? It just seems that you would have to encompass the whole aspect of your art to really grasp it.

I don't think you've seen that here, certainly not much. You may be reading a lot into posts that isn't there. I see a lot of people here who take martial arts for different reasons, and a general attitude of respect for every one else.

To focus on one aspect of the martial arts does not make you less a martial artist. However, to be a complete, well rounded martial artist, you would have to study some of each of the elements- combat, self defense, sport, self improvement, fitness, health, spiritual, and healing. You'd also need discipline, knowlege, philosophy, psychology, physiology, kinematics, writing and teaching skills. Add to that, you'd need to study and integrate a striking style, locking and throwing style, ground style, an internal style, and probably one of the short combatives courses taught in a high stress, reality venue. Throw in some tradition, respect, honor,... . So I'll ask, how well rounded, or complete, a martial artist are you?

The point is that few today have the time for all that, and we each come to the martial arts with different needs, different goals, and different desires. So we all focus on those aspects that meet our needs. And because I, or anyone else, talks about what we do with zeal or pride, it doesn't mean we disrespect what you or anyone else does. And it doesn't mean we don't see the bennifits in what you do, or that we think you're anything less for doing it. It just means that I need something different than the next guy, and I seek a path that will provide that.

Consider that, if I thought my style was the only way, or that fighting is the only reason, there are boards and forums devoted entirely to those subjects. This is where I, and others, come to talk about what we do. One big reason I come to a mixed board is to hear what you have to say. I train with other stylists to expose myself to different strategies and tactics. I talk to you to expose myself to different thoughts and ideas.

Freedom isn't free!

Thanks, Dijita. I guess I can see where us reality types can be a little intimmidating, or seem arrogant at times. And the self improvement crowd can come off a little superior also. But I don't think most of us mean it that way. I just remind myself that they are as hyped by what they do as I am about what I do. And those categories I listed are not mutually exclusive- I think there is at least a little of each in all martial arts systems. It's more a matter of focus than exclusion. But, like applications of techniques, you sometimes have to go a little outside the box in your thinking to find these other qualities.

Freedom isn't free!

Martial Arts means unarmed combat so in reality anyone who fights without weapons is a Martial Artist.

However I do agree. I think there is a diffeance in Matial Arts and fighting. Both involve using your hand and feet in combat but one is a way of life and the other a result of not knowing how to live. (boy stepped on some toes there i bet) A true Martial Artist who studies his or her art and understands it will never be involved in a fight although they are very well trained in combat techinques. The fighter will be in a lot of fights reguardless if they win or lose they will never master the martial arts.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In danger of being extremely simplistic here I am going to post this;

Main Entry: mar·tial

Pronunciation: 'mär-sh&l

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin martialis of Mars, from Mart-, Mars

1 : of, relating to, or suited for war or a warrior

2 : relating to an army or to military life

3 : experienced in or inclined to war : WARLIKE

- mar·tial·ly /-sh&-lE/ adverb

Main Entry: art·ist

Pronunciation: 'är-tist

Function: noun

1 a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts b archaic : PHYSICIAN c archaic : ARTISAN

2 a : one who professes and practices an imaginative art b : a person skilled in one of the fine arts

3 : a skilled performer; especially : ARTISTE

4 : one who is adept at something

I see this in an extremely simple way. I train for the sake of defending myself, my family and my country. I train for the fitness and peace that it brings me. I do not need the eastern religion to guide my way...I have Christ. Just as any culture has intermixed military and religion so have I. Christ is my primary focus and if I can avoid conflict I will...for the sake of my fellow man and primarily for the sake of God.

I am training in the military arts..I am seeking expertise at war. In light of that I should think that I would know how to defend my self at distance with ballistic weapons then into hand weapons.. after that it falls into kicks, punches and wrestling. My other post that I started has brought home the idea to me that I should probably take Judo as a way to augment my training. What good am I in the expertise of war if I only know how to attack/defend in one way?

The simple fact is that people DO want to defend themselves... I would rather know how to disarm or kill a terrorist with a box cutter knife than fight him unequiped. It is a simple matter of survival in a world of pain, strife and conflict. Do I seek trouble? The martial arts actually gaurantees more that I will stay out of it.

and once again, i feel that i should point out that 'martial art' is a term chosen by the western world to describe the fighting arts of china, japan etc etc.

in the chinese language, what is used to describe 'martial arts' does not have anything to do with war.

it is always refered to as 'hard work' and taken to mean 'way of fighting'.

going a little deeper, you would say that you are learning a particular style or family art and once again, war does not feature in it.

while a warrior will probably know a style of fighting, the style itself is not a thing of war.

it's like saying that money is evil when it is in fact the desire for money which is evil.

the fighting arts might be used in war but the arts themselves are not for war.

if you take the western definition and pick out the chinese arts that qualify for that definition then all of the styles you can name do not count as martial arts.

the ones that do are the traditional horsemanship skills, archery, wrestling, loose techniques with apear, dao and some basic hand techniques that don't have an all encompassing name.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

You need to read some Ronald Reagen ideas its called PEACE though strength. Thats what I ment in my post about Martial Arts. Because I can fight or protect myself people know that thus I don't have to.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If i was to make that decision, i would place myself in the categorie of "Martial Artist" i abide by the spirit of karate and i dont just go there to learn how to fight. I know how to fight and so does everyone, t s instinct, i learn how to DEFEND myself and how to perfect my style of Martal Arts and find Joy and Glory through it all. :karate:

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!