• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your least Favorite Kata????

shotochem

I will not say it is my least favorite kata but Jiin is my least favorite kata to be doing while sensei is stopping frequently to talk at lenght. All that time getting caught in shiko dachi.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: pyungahn/heian/pinan 3

I think the thing that turns them off the most is the double inside-out/low blocks at the beginning of the form. I've seen some goofy interpretations of that move... :)

It is a very difficult form to visualize applications for, IMHO, especially for a 6th gup. But I keep telling them that this technique comes back to haunt them later in Naihanchi Sam Dan.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Earlier I said I didn't like Heian Nidan. I have changed my mind (there is a tie), we just went over Heian Sandan, and I could not remember it for my life. It seems to be the hardest kata for me to remember.

Heh, don't worry. When you move up to the kata like Kanku/Kusanku etc., you'll have 2-4 times the stuff that Heian/Pinan kata do have. There are less repeats and variation is heavier.

After those, you'll wonder how you ever thought any Heian/Pinan to be hard to remember.

However, for remembering, train the kata in a way that you add one movement each time. I.e. do the kata as "one" "one, two" "one, two, three" in movement sets...add one movement. It takes time, but you'll remember it. It also adds the "journey" -feeling to kata, which I think is a good thing.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Yeah Hangetsu is up there in the least favourite department. I'm also not a big fan of Heian Sandan, despite the fact it got me my Shodan. It just doesn't have any magic for me, which obviously indicates my lack of understanding of this kata.

I should make it a bit of a mission to learn H. Sandan a lot more.

:)

Sandan isn't so bad.

Pretty straight forward.

It just tests your ability to switch stances with each movement PROPERLY. :D