• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your least Favorite Kata????

shotochem

Bassai Sho lol those sweeps and hand guards at the end are killer. Physically not hard but hard to make look right and time up. lol. Besides that I like the kata but man that part of mine looks bad.

Gankanku 1 of 10 times I nail it the other 9 I lose balance somewhere or have to regain it and shake a bit. Again a fun kata but I wish I were better at it.

Other than those 2 I dont like jumps. Empi, Kanku Sho, Meiyko all give me toruble as well. Don't practice Unsu yet thank God lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HATE khion kata its sooooo boring!

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

Gankanku 1 of 10 times I nail it the other 9 I lose balance somewhere or have to regain it and shake a bit. Again a fun kata but I wish I were better at it.

Other than those 2 I dont like jumps. Empi, Kanku Sho, Meiyko all give me trouble as well.

Huh, join the club. I dislike the jumps in kata, but that's only because I can't always get it like I want to. Plus, if I'm having one of my "aargh, nothing's going right today!" sort of days, then the jump in Heian Godan is bad enough, let alone Empi or Kanku Sho.

I chose to do Empi as my free-choice kata for my Shodan exam. When I said to my instructor that it was the one I wanted to do he gave me a look like I'd said I wanted to move to Vanuatu and live in a tree. I'd always complained about the jumps in kata (still do, actually!) but I chose to do one with a very difficult jump/turn in it. Boy, did he make me pay for that. The week leading up to my Shodan, I think I spent more time spinning round in the air practicing that jump than I did with my feet on the ground!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

My buddy did the same thing when he tested for his Shodan he picked Empi knowing he was not good at it. Our teacher liked the idea that he was pushing himself and even though he did not nail the jump or the kata (looked ok but ive seen better) he passed him because he knew he was trying to impress him. His other stuff was very good.

Ive never had to test on Empi thank God lol. On my Shodan I did Jion as my option kata and for Nidan I did all the Tekki Sandan and Hangetsu I think its been a while.

But I dont think there is any kata i dislkie just parts of some Im not good at yet. Im pretty good at Jion, Bassai Dai, and Kanku Dai but I hate doing them cause they wear you out lol.

Kata is my favortie part of class and prob always will be.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I absolutely hate Hangetsu - that stance kills my knees! :x

There are a few moves in kata which are horrible as well to add to the above list...

Keage/uraken empi landing in sochin stance in kata Sochin!

The section of moves (where you strike behind you before you turn) between the two kiais in the gojushiho katas - I really have to think which one is in which kata :o

Dont have much of a problem with the jumps - they probably aren't that good but I like doing them :D ... I certainly can't leap 4ft in the air like the books always show :kaioken:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I would have to say my worst kata is Hangetsu i cant get ny head around those stances, or Heian Sandan, which is a bit boring.

Yes Kihon Kata is boring but it is fundamentals which are dyerly important. :karate:

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I absolutely hate Hangetsu - that stance kills my knees! :x

There are a few moves in kata which are horrible as well to add to the above list...

Keage/uraken empi landing in sochin stance in kata Sochin!

The section of moves (where you strike behind you before you turn) between the two kiais in the gojushiho katas - I really have to think which one is in which kata :o

Dont have much of a problem with the jumps - they probably aren't that good but I like doing them :D ... I certainly can't leap 4ft in the air like the books always show :kaioken:

Andy.

A tip for hangetsu and the knees - when you go into the stance don't think about pointing your knees in. Think instead about closing your legs together from the groin area. You will find that takes the stress off the knees.

I forget to mention Bassai Dai. If I practise this kata a lot I get a pain in my lower back. Recently my teacher said that although Bassai Dai looks as if it must be performed strongly (like Sochin and Hangetsu), it must be performed light. Perhaps if I perform it light my back pains will decrease.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

Cheers Sai... will try that later on at training. :)

IMHO It seems that Hangetsu stance is not too important in Shotokan - as it doesnt appear in other kata and is just a long version of sanchin stance (which doesnt appear in many kata either).

I always used to hate H3 when I was a kyu grade and not able to do the kata with any power or meaning - now I can appreciate that it contains some quality moves.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)