• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your least Favorite Kata????

shotochem

Someone always posts what their favorite kata,kick, punch or combo is.

I was wondering which kata you guys do not like to do and why?

I used to despise the Tekkis, now a couple of years later I practice them as much if not more than most of my others. They kind of grew on me. :)

Now the ones I just cringe when I have to do is Hangetsu or Jitte. They just don't feel right to me...... :-?

Am I the only one......... :roll:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Hangetsu is up there in the least favourite department. I'm also not a big fan of Heian Sandan, despite the fact it got me my Shodan. It just doesn't have any magic for me, which obviously indicates my lack of understanding of this kata.

I should make it a bit of a mission to learn H. Sandan a lot more.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

I cant say that I have any that I really don't like. There have been times that I did not enjoy getting caught in shiko dachi in the middle of jiin while sensei was off talking on and on and on.

I don't really have a least favorite kata. I find only certain movements in kata's difficult to perform and that's why you could say I don't like them.

For example:

- Beginning of Empi.

- The fumikomi's and empi uke's in Heian Sandan.

- The sweeps in Bassai Sho

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

My least favourite is probably Heian Godan, because no matter how much effort I put into it I could never seem to get it right when I was first learning it. Another kata I'm finding hard is Unsu, although I think most people find Unsu difficult, especially at first.

I don't really have any kata that I dislike, though, I think they're all worthwhile and can teach karateka something - it's just whether people are willing to listen and learn.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Dang-Gun - it's my yellow-belt kata. It is not simple,. but just simple enough to be a nuisance.

I actually feel like the first kata I ever learned (Chung-Gi) is sort of the essence of my beginning. Now I do that form proudly with alot of effort because it is so simple, and I can enjoy feeling the energy from the block-punch steps. Anyone else feel the same about the first kata they learned?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."