• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how much a month?

Teaching martial arts full-time 6 days a week is my normal job. Thankfully, my students think the $80/month tuition is fair. I work hard to make sure it's a good value.

--

But if you would come in Finland you would be out of job. Those who professionally teaches MA here goes for trainingcamps to teach. One trainingcamp can cost 20-40€ for 2 days, and if you are good teacher many will come to get trained by you. People may pay good money for teaching, but not all the time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you would come in Finland you would be out of job. Those who professionally teaches MA here goes for trainingcamps to teach. One trainingcamp can cost 20-40€ for 2 days, and if you are good teacher many will come to get trained by you. People may pay good money for teaching, but not all the time.

Since I depend on teaching MA for a living, constantly developing my MA skills and my teaching skills is my number one priority. This has allowed me to become a better martial artist and a better teacher than I would otherwise be. If I lived in a place where I had to make a living doing something else, I suppose that something else would be my main priority and MA would have to take the back seat.

Since I love teaching taekwondo, I'm glad I live here!

--

For about 7 years now I haven't been paying anything. My instructor made it very clear that he wanted students not customers. I had given him several gifts but never any money. Recently however he has run into some bad financial luck, so the other students and I have been gathering donations. They average between $40 and $60 dollars per month for what we offer to him as gas money. We owe him a lot more however, and I doubt any of us will ever feel that we can pay or are paying enough.

The instructor I had before that I paid by doing dojo artwork, t-shirts, symbols, and insignias. I didn’t really have any money at the time and I was extremely lucky to have met him and to benefit from such an arrangement that was clearly in my favor (I’m not that good of an artist).

The two classes per week that I co-teach we don't ask any money for. I don't think that would be right considering what was given to me and while I can’t see the future I find it unlikely that I will ever charge unless I end up renting an area in which case we would all likely split the costs. Right now our garage is free.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I pay 85$ dollars per month, that means I get unlimited classes because we have a sports class which is nothing but sparring for tournaments and stuff and no test fees.. so Its pretty good for me.. :D

"Who Dares, Wins"

Of the classes I've been looking into, $35 a month (serious teacher, not in it for the money), $50 a month, $85, and $100.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I'm going to be, I believe I'm a part of one now (my new dojo is in mcminnville oregon, I'm moving there in the next month or so), it's either matsubayashi or kobayashi(sp?). How do you like matsubayashi compared to other shorin ryu? How hard's the sparring?

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Well, I just started about two months ago, and this is the first time I've taken Shorin, so I can't compare it. Also haven't gotten into real sparring yet. I love the school, though. Wish I could be more helpful.

Edit: About sparring: I do know from seeing the higher ranks spar and how our senseis feel about sparring, that it's very controlled.

Well, I just started about two months ago, and this is the first time I've taken Shorin, so I can't compare it. Also haven't gotten into real sparring yet. I love the school, though. Wish I could be more helpful.

Edit: About sparring: I do know from seeing the higher ranks spar and how our senseis feel about sparring, that it's very controlled.

I hate to break into this .. but are you attending a Frank Grant associated school?