• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how much a month?

I pay £25 pounds a month which is around $45 i guess.

I get as many sessions in my organisation as i can get to which amounts to about 8 a week - so 32 a month; so only costing me 78p a lesson ($1.50 ish).... only just worked that out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all money paid to the club is used to costs. So sensei is not getting any richer.

Would you have a problem if sensei was getting richer? If he's good, shouldn't he receive some compensation for his work?

--

My sensei is a woman. There is a bit different culture in Finland than in other countries when talking about MA. Here is not many teachers that can teach martial arts and earn some money to live. But I would not have a problem if sensei would earn some money. But my sensei is generous, she does this purely cause she loves karate, and she want to teach it to others too. Surely very admirable.

When I first time watched what all you guys pay for training MA I couldnt believe my eyes, now I realise how lucky I am when getting good teaching almoust competely free. Of course Im also helping my club, teaching young kids for free and helping when asked. That`s how it works here, everyone does their part and gets no payment.

all money paid to the club is used to costs. So sensei is not getting any richer.

Would you have a problem if sensei was getting richer? If he's good, shouldn't he receive some compensation for his work?

--

My sensei is a woman. There is a bit different culture in Finland than in other countries when talking about MA. Here is not many teachers that can teach martial arts and earn some money to live. But I would not have a problem if sensei would earn some money. But my sensei is generous, she does this purely cause she loves karate, and she want to teach it to others too. Surely very admirable.

When I first time watched what all you guys pay for training MA I couldnt believe my eyes, now I realise how lucky I am when getting good teaching almoust competely free. Of course Im also helping my club, teaching young kids for free and helping when asked. That`s how it works here, everyone does their part and gets no payment.

This is one of the holdovers from ancient ways, that the master would teach the students, and in return, they would till the field, provide food, etc. Now whenever a MA instructor actually makes money from the art, he is accused of "selling out", or charging too much, etc etc.

There is nothing noble about starving, and likewise, there is nothing shameful in getting a reasonable salary to provide for your family. I will have spent 11 years getting ready to open my own school, and I am lucky enough to be in an organization that will help me with business classes, marketing programs, etc etc.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Well, I am hoping to start a commercial, professional studio one day in the not too distant future, and I've already decided on charging between $85-100 per month.

Rent is a huge factor, for one thing. The better the facility/location/etc...the more an instructor has to charge.

I also like to break it down hourly.

If you only attended 3 classes a week, at one hour each, that's 12 hours per month.

Break it down and you are paying:

at $85/month: about $7.08 an hour

at $95/month: about $7.92 an hour

at $100/month: about $8.33 an hour

If you attend more classes, it's even less per hour.

I don't know many full time professionals who think their time is only worth that much, and I know people who pay teenage babysitters more than that per hour...yet they'll complain about paying it for martial arts.

I have no problem charging those prices. It is more than justifiable.

Well, I am hoping to start a commercial, professional studio one day in the not too distant future, and I've already decided on charging between $85-100 per month.

Rent is a huge factor, for one thing. The better the facility/location/etc...the more an instructor has to charge.

Yeah, one of the things that my fiancee and are considering is joint rent space. She is getting certified to teach Irish Dance, and I'll be teaching TKD. Get an area large enough for 3 rooms, use one for TKD exclusively, one for dance exclusively, and overlap the third room. We have already scouted several locations in the area that we are planning on moving to.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

£28 a month, dunno what that is in $.

If it's in pounds sterling, it is about $53 US.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Aodhan

[quote name="tkdBill

There is nothing noble about starving' date=' and likewise, there is nothing shameful in getting a reasonable salary to provide for your family. I will have spent 11 years getting ready to open my own school, and I am lucky enough to be in an organization that will help me with business classes, marketing programs, etc etc.

Aodhan[/quote]

She is working in "normal" job like everyone else. And since the club have several instructors she does not have to teach every day. All is done in own free time.

Teaching martial arts full-time 6 days a week is my normal job. Thankfully, my students think the $80/month tuition is fair. I work hard to make sure it's a good value.

--