• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Designing a Kata

Radok

I have decided to design a kata. I will try to take all the best bunkai I know or can find and compile them into a single kata consisting of 5O moves, which will reflect my personal style of fighting and my veiws on application of Karate. It will focus on throws, groundfighting, and clinch ranges, with long range techniques taking a back seat. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Has anyone else done it?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have decided to design a kata. ...take all the best bunkai and compile them into a single kata , which will reflect my personal style and application of Karate. It will focus on throws, groundfighting, and clinch ranges. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Has anyone else done it?

I'd suggest that instead of just one kata with all the best bunkai, do several with different themes. Grappling is an excellent theme for your first one.

Many American Kenpo systems encourage or require this, and it is an excellent training tool. You really have to think about what you are doing to put together a viable kata, or form. Not just the moves, but the principles and concepts. Sometimes you can work one technique several ways to contrast its' variouse applications. You can explore similar techniques and the subtle differences in their applications. You can explore families of techniques, or similar moves, or groups of moves (like parries or checks). I did one whose theme was stances and footwork, where I transposed my upright maneuvers to kneeling and grounded scenarios. Choose any theme that intrigues you and get into it.

Don't expect your kata(s) to become immortalized, but as a tool to further your understanding, as well as developing your insight and problem solving skills, this is one of the best ways to do it.

Freedom isn't free!

It is important that each of the moves of the kata have a decisive purpose. There should be no preperation, guard-like or feinting moves but all should have applications both when standing and within a grappling sense. If a given move (or combination) is not fool-proof by design, then the kata should also demonstrate a "back-up" for this.

I guess it is more a case of are you looking to create a series of oyo or actually develop a kata which is self-contained as a system of self-defence/combat by itself. As is the true reason for kata in the first place.

Best of luck and have fun.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

• 2 months later...

Keep it simple and to the point. In some styles, they have the philosphy of starting off with a some simple movements to express a point. Then they are 'harder' the more you learn and advance. I know of a Tai Chi kata where they would have about 10 separate 'sets' of movements each set had a name then it was combined to make one beautiful 'dance'.

sorry to say this but if you practice Shorin-ryu ,you should have at least 14 solid katas to practice and understand before making a new one.

correct me if i am wrong but i think it was sukugawa who was told by Kusanku " train with me 5 years i tell you how and 5 more years i tell you why" so kusanku kata was created. if some one from American kenpo design a kata it's accepteble

to me but not from a shorin ryu stylist. or may be I am just too old, any way good luck with your kata,

one kata i allways think we should have in shorin-ryu is a body conditioning kata like sonchin or tensho although some of us practice Naihanchi with shime.

I always make up my own Katas in my Garden or Living room! I find it fun. Anyway, I have never really properly devoted myself to it before though, I have just messed around. I should start to make my Katas rememmorable.

What you should do though, is make the Kata logical, it must make sense if you were to try the techniques on someone.

It is also always a good idea to apply your own preferred fighting style ibnto your Kate. But you don't want to make it too easy for yourself. Try to train yourself by putting in moves that you wouldn't usally try.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!