• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Backyard Sparring?

I just came up with this great idea, that I could get some protective gear together, and do some backyard sparring with a couple of freinds of mine.

They love the idea, and I do to since we would be able to get a little rougher, and try new things that are not allowed in my dojo.

:)

Does anyone else do this?

Also is something i should ask sensei about? or is it not a big deal?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I've become very close to my lawn through the martial arts and backyard sparing- if ya get ma drift! :)

Freedom isn't free!

one thing to keep in mind is the neighbors...

I practice by myself all the time in my yard, but everyone can see me. Some just think I'm crazy, some might think I'm violent and a bad influence on children, but what I'm most worried about is the ghetto neighbors thinking that, since I do martial arts, I'd want to fight them sometime. I don't know about your neighborhood or anything, but it's something good to keep in mind.

Other than that, it's an awesome idea. Practicing in my yard gives me a chance to practice in my street clothes (*very* important if you ask me), improvise weapons with toys the kids leave around (the current faves are the wiffle ball bat and the steel rake), to try rolling on a harder surface than usual (we practice on mats, but I roll in the grass when I can), and to try out things that I don't get a chance to go over in class. Most sparring I try, I do indoors (but I'm mostly just doing it in front of a movie camera).

I don't think you'd need to tell your sensei about it, unless you felt like you were cehating on him or something :P.

I just came up with this great idea, that I could get some protective gear together, and do some backyard sparring with a couple of freinds of mine.

They love the idea, and I do to since we would be able to get a little rougher, and try new things that are not allowed in my dojo.

:)

Does anyone else do this?

Also is something i should ask sensei about? or is it not a big deal?

Thanks.

I good idea, especially if you get a few friends together from different styles. Just watch the control and be safe.

Dont be drinking when you do it. (dont ask :P )

Yeh well the backyard is a freinds, private, can barely see it from road.

Flat, perfect.

Of course wed have to make rules like tap out, or say "tap out" if it is only 2 of us, and maybe even paint a ring on the ground.

But it will be fun once the gear gets here, i even ordered the chest guards cause i know there would be attacks there. lol.

also, make sure they're trust worthy friends, for the purposes of liability and such.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

also, make sure they're trust worthy friends, for the purposes of liability and such.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the posts. As an adult, homeowner and parent of two strapping 6'+ sons, the first thing I thought of is "What if one of these boys gets hurt?"

Teeth knocked out, knees/ligaments torn, head cracked, etc are always a possability in sparring situations, and I'd get an OK from yoru parents first before doing what you're talking about. If an injury happens to one of the other kids, your parents are most likely liable for the costs of doctors, hospitals, etc, plus possibly litigation (lawsuits).

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

If it wasn't for the fact that there is no one worth sparring in the backyard, I'd have already got backyard matches set up by now. :wink:

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."