-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't tend to wear any equipment for sparring in my dojo - occasionally a pair of mitts, but that's about it. In fact, I bet I can count on one hand the times I've worn my mitts for sparring in my dojo in all the years I've been there. Men can choose to wear a groin guard and ladies can wear a chest protector if they wish, but hardly anyone does, especially not on a regular basis.

When I compete in competitions, I wear a pair of karate mitts and a gum shield. I bought a pair of shin protecters, but I found them uncomfortable to wear and spar in, so I've only worn them a couple of times. Men are required to wear a groin guard for comps.

If you need glasses for sparring, then you will have to wear contact lenses or get a pair of prescription sports goggles.

Good luck with your sparring, Matt! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Definitely see your Sensai about what protective equipment is required for your dojo/tournaments. I purchased a $15 pair of gloves for dojo sparring at an MA store only to be told by Sensai that these were the wrong type. I then had to purchase gloves from the club that were approved. :karate:

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

I also wear glasses. I always try to remember to put contacts in for sparring. If I forget, then I have to spar without glasses on, and then I get hit!

I wear glasses also (no contacts) and in a real fight, they would be the first things to get tossed off. I can see well enough at arm/leg length away from me. I've been at this a long time and have never sparred with my glasses on, so I'm used to it.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

thank you all please keep the topic going

i like the help yhou all gave me here on this topic

about buying gloves and sparring with glasses to buy goggles.

thank you all please keep this topic going

from matt blake karate warrior

• 2 weeks later...

LOL about the glasses. We had one guy in team training that was almost BLIND when he sparred without his glasses. We use to SNEAK out of his sight range, then come at him from the side with an attack! I know it was mean, but it was hilarious as well though... :0)

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I love sparring..

from point sparring, to continuous point sparring, to boxing, kickboxing, full contact karate, and no holds barred.

The best advice I can give is this..

First, start any sparring you are interested in in a friendly environment... i.e. your karate school... If you enjoy if then move on to friendly tournaments... i.e. your style only closed tournaments, invite only type of things..

If you still like it then go to open tournaments.

that means any of the different types of sparring..

ok as far as gear.

get gear appropriate to your training.

some advice..

get a shock proof mouthpiece, a good one with a gel insert to shape completely around your teeth.

it costs up to $25.00 US, but its worth the investment. Do not just use the cheapo 1 dollar mouthpiece that you dump in hot water and then bite on..

you are protecting your teeth, your head, and your life.

the better mouthpiece is only slightly more, and it will prevent your brain from taking shock damage if you take a hard punch to the mouth. It wont prevent all damage, but it greatly reduces it over standard mouthpieces.

second.

get a great cup/jock that fits you and is appropriate for your sparring activity.

I use a steel cup for kickboxing.

I use a fitted jock and hard cup for karate.

It will protect you from blows and even if its an off chance of getting hit you want protection.

now..

if you are talking point sparring karate format, then the rest is obviously up to your personal preference.

headgear, handgear, footgear, shinguards, chest and rib protectors, even elbow and knee guards are available. Many of them are good, some have extra foam so that you have an extra 1/2 inch or so or length on your weapons.

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable.

I dont care how good a protective gear is, if it bugs you it will prevent you from doing well.

obviously boxing and kixkboxing would require hand wraps, and boxing gloves. different weights depending on your size and training.

some amateur boxing and kickboxing matches require a headgear as well, which is much sturdier and better then karate headgear.

a groundfighting style of sparring might require open fingereed padded gloves.

If you need glasses then sports goggles are a must, and I might recommend a karate headgear with a faceshiled as well in that case.

Also a few things of note..

if you are competing in tournaments, make sure you know well ahead of time what the rules are. Many tournaments have slightly different rules, and not knowing the rules is as good as fighting 1 handed.

I wish you luck in your sparring, and i hope my info helps somewhat.

One further thing I'd say about sparring gear is to get the best you can afford. Cheap stuff is just that - cheap. It's usually poor quality and doesn't tend to last as long, especially if you use it on a regular basis.

I wouldn't always recommend buying stuff over the internet either, unless you've had that brand before. Sometimes sizing can be vastly different from one company to another. For example, I have a blue pair of handguards by Blitz that are a small. I also have a red pair of hand guards by Meijin which are a large, yet both pairs are exactly the same physical size even though the label sizes are different. It's better if you can try the stuff on in a shop and assess it yourself before purchase.

I agree with luckykboxer about the mouthguard. If you don't wear a full-face head guard then gum shields are an excellent idea to wear. The cheapie ones are usually rubbish and don't fit properly. It's worth spending the extra money on one with gel inserts or buying a made-to-measure gum shield from your dentist. It really is worth the extra money for the increase in quality and protection.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!