• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring help

matbla

i will be sparring soon and want to know

1)stuff i will need

2) any hits i should know about sparring

3)iwear glasses and what head gear should i get

4)if i buy a heavy gi what kind and where to get it. i wear century middle weight size adult 8

from matt blake

Edited by matbla

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your sempai or sensei might be the best person to direct these questions too. The equipment you use will probably vary from club to club. Your instructors might even be able to supply the equipment.

In our dojo, we often wear hand and shin/instep guards. Sometimes we don't wear any protection. If you plan to do tournements, find out what you need to wear for your style of rules.

Currently I own:

bag type mitts, cloth shin/instep guards, and mouth piece.

The tournements I fight we often are required to wear head gear but it is usually provided, that is why I do not own head gear just yet.

For the guys, it's probably not a bad idea to wear a cup. Accidents happen and I'm sure it hurts. My friend has this cool one that's built into a pair of shorts. He said it is the comfiest one he's ever owned and he can hardly tell he has it on.

Most of the tournaments I attend require a groin cup for men, a mouth guard, and foam head, hand and foot gear. They normally do not allow open-fingered gloves for fear of broken fingers or the possibility of eye damage. As always, ask your instructor.

I agree that your sensei is the one that needs to answer those questions for you. As for me, there are no pads anywhere, including my hands, feet, head or groin. I figure that on the street, I'd better damn well learn how to protect myself, and I feel that the use of those pads is like a crutch. You lean on them and depend on them for protection, and sacrifice your defense because of them.

It's just me folks...my class is "required" (but I never check) to wear a cup...nothing more for sparring.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It depends upon the level of sparring.

We tend to wear shin guards and/or hand guards when sparring.

Sometimes chest protectors if we have broken\cracked ribs and don't want to get them messed up again before they heal :(

For tournaments we aren't allowed to wear anything since it is Kyokushin or World Oyama tournaments and this is the rules for knock-down.

Some insist on groin cups and mouthguards but most don't.

The kids and juniors compete in semi-knockdown and they must wear head gear, shin guards and hand guards.

Again, some insist on mouth guards and groin cups too.

I have two Isami heavywieght gi's. These are the best available in the world and the ones used by Kyokushin and World Oyama.

http://www.isami.co.jp/english/index2.htm

For protective gear, I get all mine from Fairtex.

They make incredibly high quality stuff.

https://www.fairtexgear.com

The shin guards are great!

Osu

ET

It's just me folks...my class is "required" (but I never check) to wear a cup...nothing more for sparring.

Ha! That's the way it should be. I wish my instructor thought the same way.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I also wear glasses. I always try to remember to put contacts in for sparring. If I forget, then I have to spar without glasses on, and then I get hit!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

If my gi is on, my cup is on. Simple as that. I can take a good swing to the breadbasket, and I can even bear a knucklesandwich ... but I'm not taking any chances with the family jewels.