• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin Doubters Beware!!! Muay Thai?

Half of the benefits of sparring with punches to the head is learnign to defend against them. I dont doubt that a Kyokushin fighter would be able to punch someone in the head in a real fight. but would they have the recognition/reaction, and defense to defend well against them? thats another question and unless you train for it its going ot be tough.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJS,

I'm a Kyokushin practicioner, and I will be honest. I would not feel comfortable enough to say that I can effectively block punches to my face. We practice them in our techniques, but we don't practice them in our sparring.

I would not feel comfortable enough to say that I can effectively block punches to my face. We practice them in our techniques, but we don't practice them in our sparring.

Easily remedied. Get some classmates together who want to work on it, run some drills on your own, and spar with the head as a target. Start out with no contact to the head, then work up to light contact. I don't know if I'd go 'full' contact to the head, especially without protecton. In fact, I'd recomend moderately heavy with light gloves and boxing/Muay Thai style headgear.

Another option would be to find some other styles to work out with, ones that use contact to the head. Many schools have a walk in policy with a very reasonable fee. And these days, most of the seriouse self defense or sport schools like to have other stylists come in because it gives their students something different to deal with. It's an eye opener for you as well, and a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot- don't just block shots to the head. Move the target!

Freedom isn't free!