• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin Doubters Beware!!! Muay Thai?

Sevenstar, how does Muay Thai allow for a higher level of contact? Do you mean because you're allowed to punch to the face? That's the only thing I can think of. I'm preety sure that both styles will be hitting each other just as hard though.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyokushin is better for self-defence since its a complete system, but I wouldn't discard Muay Thai since its pretty powerful but then again its all down to the individual.

So you're saying kyokushin teaches ground grappling, REAL takedowns such as taking a shot in at the legs, and submissions? Unless this is true, then it's not complete.

If you're talking about the level ranks then Muay Thai goes from Level 1 to 2 and then 3 the final stage but this process takes longer like when getting a black belt.

there are no ranks or levels in MT..certain schoold might break up the classes in levels or whatever though to seperate advanced and beginer students.

So you're saying kyokushin teaches ground grappling, REAL takedowns such as taking a shot in at the legs, and submissions? Unless this is true, then it's not complete.

I assume the person who said that kyokushin is a complete art ment complete in what it was designed for, that is, stand up striking. A martial art CAN be complete if its aim is to perfect a certain facet of combat.

If you're talking about the level ranks then Muay Thai goes from Level 1 to 2 and then 3 the final stage but this process takes longer like when getting a black belt.

there are no ranks or levels in MT..certain schoold might break up the classes in levels or whatever though to seperate advanced and beginer students.

Yeah, But some Thai Boxers say this quote, "The belt is in the ring".

Yeah, But some Thai Boxers say this quote, "The belt is in the ring".

Right that means they dont have belts given out and the only one you are going to get is the one you win in a ring.

Let's be honest folks. I appreciate all the replies to this subject, but I am getting nothing more than opinions in favor of the style that the reply-e practices.

Kyokushin is a Fighting Art more than a Martial Art, and to those who understand the difference the following will be easy to follow.

I have trained in other styles of Karate in the past just to get a feel for the other variations that are out there, and to better understand them from experience and not from a Forum conversation. These include Shotokan, Kenpo, Shindenkan, and Goju. I will be the first to admit that all of the forementioned styles I gained respect for. They all had similar Kata, had similar if not identical kicks, punches, throws, sweeps etc. The one thing that seperated us from them was not what we trained in, rather how we trained. Kyokushin emphasizes (overly sometimes) a harsh training regimen that consists of primarily hard basics for warm ups, hard full speed drills, severe emphasis on technique and the physics behind them, full contact sparring at low speed for technique and high speed for ring experience, body conditioning for impact absorbtion, Sanchin for endurance and mental toughness and Kata. At no time are pads of any kind allowed for multiple reasons. Punching (both closed fist and open hand to the face and body) kicking, and throwing are the focal points!! Yet, we do in fact train in multiple grappling and manipulation aspects. While they are not the STRONG POINTS of Kyokushin, they ARE part of the training and have been so long as I know of. YES we do use elbows, knees and just about anything that can be projected from the body. Kyokushin does allow any and all Kicks and knees to the head as well as any desired hand or leg technique to the body. The point of a Kyokushin match is to quickly, effectively, and unquestionably knock out the opponent. Not to score points and go on for rounds. Having explained a bit about the "Art" of Kyokushin I can now tell you why it differs from "Traditional" Karate. Most other systems (with the exception of MT and Goju) train for sport and do not for the most part require a strict and harsh training regimen. Most sytems tend to teach for the art and preach the importance of not having to use force to deal with force. I spent with these systems learning their techniques and although I got to understand them in depth, we were not allowed to put them to use. We were just "told" that they would work. In order to know what works for an individual, you must learn, practice, and put to practical use each and every technique to better understand what works for you. No 2 people can assume that they can both use a technique effectively and in the same situation seeing that they are both different and will react differently. I really did appreciate what I learned from these other guys and I respect them tremendously. That being said I also learned that I prefer the reality and harshness that only in Kyokushin I have found. Kyokushin means "Ultimate Truth" and that is what we strive for. No, we are not allowed to punch to the head in a bout, but then again I think most are thankful for that fact. If we are devestating without the hand strikes to the head, it is only better that we don't cross into that realm. Well, in the dojo atleast. Do we have a better understanding now? It is, what it is.

I dont get the point about pads, why dont you use them.

what has throwing or open hand techniques got to do with not using pads.

A good pad man will spar with you. Not just hold them for you to hit. And when you thow stuff back he will stop it with the pads. Thats why pads are useful, you get to go full power. not only that but training in the air builds muscle differently.

You have to train to slow the punhc or kick down at the end so as not to hyperextend your limbs.

Not many people are aware of this but punching the air make syou arms strong but slow your punch at the end becuase the puscle is developed differently.

When you hit the pad the muscle is never having to make the efffort to slow down, it grows slightly differently.

Seize the day!