• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello everyone. I had a couple of questions. I'm new to Martial Arts and have no experience in it at all. I was looking to start up Jujitsu because of my strong interest in japanese culture. Needless to say, i'm not in very good shape and I was curious if Jujitsu is demanding. How difficult is it? Right now i'm 18 and havn't participated in any physical activity in the past 6 or 7 years (I know, I know). I guess I want some general information about Jujitsu.

Secondly, I tried to find a Jujitsu school near Lawrence, Kansas but I had no luck. Do any of you know of a Jujitsu school in or close to Lawrence, Kansas? Thanks. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Chrono, welcome to KarateForums!

All martial arts can be physically demanding, but they're also a great way to get into shape. If you're worried about whether you'd be able to cope with Ju-Jitsu (or any other type of martial art) then asking your own GP would be a good place to start. Try starting with a little light excercise before you join a club; even something as simple as walking round the block a couple of times a day will help you to get into shape. If you haven't excercised for a long time then don't rush back into it as you could do yourself more harm than good. Start slowly and build up.

Sorry to hear you've not been able to find a JJ club near to you. If you're interested in Japanese martial arts, why not see if you can find a Karate, Kendo or Aikido club?

Remember, the quality of the instructor is more important that the martial art - you can train in a great style, but if you have a useless instructor then you might as well not bother training.

Why don't you try doing a general martial arts search on the internet for MA schools in your area? Or ask around at work/school/local sports centres to see if anyone knows of any decent martial arts clubs in your area.

Good luck with your search! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hmm, yes. Jujutsu will have to go on hold for now I suppose. :cry: I did, however, find an Aikido club around my area.

http://www.kansaskiaikido.org

I do have some questions though. I've heard some rather ill remarks about Aikido from several people, that it really will never be usefull in any situation. They said Aikido is useless for self-defense and is really just a confidence building sport. I hope this is far from the truth. Could someone who has studied Aikido confirm or deny these alegations? I honestly don't know.

Hmm, maybe it will help you guys out if I just simply tell you why I am interested in Martial Arts. I am facinated with japanese culture, history, customs, etc. Especially the feudal age involving the Samurai. I admire the Samurai greatly and their code of ethics. The Last Samurai movie only bolstered my interest. I also have a huge interest in martial arts and the teachings it brings. The calm mind, deepest commitment to anything you do, etc. It all greatly interests me. I thought that Jujutsu would be the perfect gateway since the Samurai studied it.

I am really determined to learn and will definitely not give up on Jujitsu that quickly but for now, Aikido is probably what I will do so that I can get a feel for it. Thank you, aefibird for the helpful reply. :)