• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kyokushin+bjj

40 cent

hey guys. ive moved dojo, im now a member of the iko not the akka.

i was doing some thinking and i was thinking of cross training to help get my grappling skills up, because i obviously have none.

what is your opinion of training in kyokushin and brazilian jujitsu?

pros/cons etc would be great, thanks, grant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yup, cross training is always good IMO, unless there's a medical reason against it.

Kyokushin & BJJ would be a good combination - a nixe mix of grappling & striking.

Good luck and happy training! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

My friend does BJJ and absolutely loves it as a grappling art.

I do Kyokushin and absolutely love it as a striking art.

Sounds like a good combination and that they would compliment each other nicely.

Welcome to IKO! :)

Just need a place to blend the two now ;)

Having good grappling is nice.

Having good Striking is nice.

Having both is nicer.

Being able to integrate the two is even nicer.

Unfortunately many neglect that last part...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Have you thought about Japanese Ju Jitsu rather than BJJ. I have read that BJJ has more striking than JJJ which is something you are already doing. :karate:

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

You moved from the AKKA to the IKO? Do I know you? I am an AKKA guy myself. I train under Shihan Cappa. Where did you go and why, if you could tell me, did you leave the AKKA? I wish you the best and keep training in KYOKUSHIN. OSU!!!!

As for brazilian JJ, I think it will really help make you a well rounded fighter. You know as well as I that Kyokushin is intense in the upward fighting, but limited in the grappling. My philosiphy is that if they take me to the ground, I did not do my job right. 12 years of KK is more than enough to deal with most fighting situations. OSU!!! :karate:

There seems to be a lot of people here who know of or have trained in Kyokushin. Why do so many of you feel that Muay Thai is a better system? Not to toot my own horn, but, I have come accross many in Kyokushin including myself who have taken the "Muay Thai" challenge, and did not find it to be more of a challenge than any of our own Kyokushin fighters. I will not say that we are more effective, or that they are. There are many similarities and many noticable differences in the two. I will say one thing though, They are about the only ones who put up an admirable fight. Wish I could say that about most other styles. Unless you have been in the ring with us, DON"T ASSUME!!!! Get used to me. I am straight forward about the issues.

OSU!!!