• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No more Aikido?

What would you do?

Honestly, I would move to a city richer in MA. You might consider doing that- but you have to weigh how much you REALLY want to train under good instruction versus being complacent with limited options...

BTW, has your teacher considered at least fostering his established students while he heals? It's been done before....

Moving to another city? I'd love to move,especially to London, but there's too many things keeping me tied here at the moment, like full time job, university, looking after my mum who is ill and a whole host of other stuff (like, there being no way on Earth I can afford to move house at the moment!) Plus, I don't want to leave my current karate club as my instructor is excellent. If I moved away then I wouldn't be able to train with his club.

The students from my Aikido club are mainly all going to another club, that is part of the same association, just further away (but too far for me to realistically train at). The assistant instructor is offering to take lessons when he can but it won't be on a regular basis and it is most likely to be on a Monday, which is when I teach the beginners class at my karate dojo.

I've been asking round and the nearest MA clubs to where I live are IFT & WTF TKD, Kickboxing, Boxing, TSD, Judo (but it's not a good club), Goju Ryu Karate, Shidokai Karate and Shukokai Karate. There's also Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Tai Chi, JJ and BJJ, but they're further away.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why not take a look at the goju ryu club. I do shotokan and whenever I've trained with goju ryu people I've found it very useful and adds useful techniques to the shotokan stuff.

Londons not so great.

Yes, but it's ten zillion times better than where I live now. Anywhere else on Earth has to be better than Wath-upon-Dearne... :-/

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 3 weeks later...

Go find another Aikido dojo, the best lesson taught to me is that 'a jack of many trades is a master of none.'

Not beating down cross training here, but focusing on one art will ulimately make you better in that art.

All the best in your search.