• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No more Aikido?

In a couple of weeks my Aikido instructor has to go into hospital for surgery on his shoulder. He will be out of action for a while - at least 6-12 months before he can get back to training. His club will have to be put on hold for that period of time and possibly indefinately. The assistant instructor can't take over lessons regularly as he works shifts and can't always garuantee that he will be there to train. Most of the other students are going to another club, but it is too far for me to travel to. The club I am at now is quite a long way away from me and I can only train once a week anyway because of how far away it is. There aren't any Aikido clubs any nearer to me.

My problem is - should I just put the Aikido 'on hold', until my instructor returns to teaching, which may never happen, or shall I have a look round for another club in another syle of MA which is nearer to me and that I can get to on a regular basis?

I've enjoyed my Aikido training so far, but I'm thinking that I might be better off trying to find a Judo or BJJ or Ju-Jitsu club that is nearer to me so that I can train on a regular basis. I was also considering TKD or maybe Kickboxing, although they're similar to karate, which I also train in now. I certainly don't want to give up my Karate training and I'm really reluctant to give up Aikido, although it's been forced up on me.

What would you do?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Give something different like BJJ a try. I think that BJJ skills are imparted faster than your average MA, so even if you only do it for 6-12 months you'll learn some new important concepts.

If you enjoyed Aikido, look for an Aikijutsu school or a traditional Jujutsu which has alot in common to Aikido.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

i agree that if you like aikido then you should look for a martial art that has karate elements.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

take this time to learn something new. supposing your instructor gets better, you'll be able to go back to it. you don't have to give up on aikido permanently, just do something new until you can get back into it.

aefibird, have you checked to see if there are any of the current students that want to just work out together on the side and keep your skills up, and maybe learn a little? Talk to the Asst. Instructor, see if he/she would be interested in working on this when his shifts allow it. Maybe set it up for private lessons for the group, with everyone shareing costs, 2-3 times a month.

Freedom isn't free!

If you really enjoy Aikido and can't take Aikido for awhile I personally would study something similar so that when you go back to Aikido you will still have your skills. If you are interested in other MA's then by all means go for it. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

No action at all would be worse. So I guess you should try to work with your coleagues and the assistent instructor and something in between. Focus on your karate training too so you keep in good shape and I'd say find a dojo with a similar style. You could even try some grappling and thus you'll be indeed well rounded.

Keep us posted :karate:

I find i cant train under another instructor easily in the same system, like a loyalty thing i guiess. You may be feeling the same. I would have to change system.

Seize the day!

What would you do?

Honestly, I would move to a city richer in MA. You might consider doing that- but you have to weigh how much you REALLY want to train under good instruction versus being complacent with limited options...

BTW, has your teacher considered at least fostering his established students while he heals? It's been done before....