• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm "homeless" .... Help

I need help on finding a decent instructor in Upstate NY.

I moved from NJ, and from a good dojang. In my opinion, it was a decent place to train. Tough, traditional, but laid back in a way. The instructor was awsome. Strict, wasn't full of himself, no ego, and he acted like an average guy out of uniform. It's kinda hard to explain, but I knew that was the right place for me.

Then I moved up here. I looked at a few schools, but they were either expensive or too "sporty" for my taste or tried to get me to sign my life away as soon as I walked in the door.

I trained at one place with my boyfriend for a while. It was traditional in the sense of strictness and disipline. But it was too "sport" for me at the time. I been away from there (well, other than watching my boyfriend take class) for a year. They changed their curriculum. It's pretty decent now. I was thinking of returning, but now they are way out of my price range.

Another school I trained at, I thought was great at first. Good self defense curriculum, cheap, and easy going. But not traditional at all as far as disipline goes. The egos were HUGE there, and the standard of technique was very low (except for a few adults).

I was wondering if any of you could lead me to a decent school? I'm looking for a dojang/dojo that is traditional as far as training goes (disipline, respect, hard on you with technique, ect). A place that is at a decent price range (i'm on a budget ..... need to start college soon), no more than a year contract, and an instructor that isn't "full of him/herself." No egos either. I live in Canandaigua NY, but I am willing to travel 25 miles or so.

I looked around (phonebook, pounded the pavement, so to speak), but I heard that the best way to find a decent school is word of mouth, so here I am. Oh and I don't care about style, except for the fact that I'm a stand-up striker kinda person (other than Judo).

Thanks in advance

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What happened? I thought you were working in that dojang? You should check out you college Phys ED dept for a good on the cheap MA program.

Most of the larger colleges offer MA. You could save a little cash and train between semesters at a school of your choice. We have a few members that do that.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I didn't think about that, Shoto :)

Yea, I did work there. But it didn't work out for several reasons. I would go into detail, but it would probably take all day to write it.

Laurie F

I think I suggested this the last time you were looking, but there are two KSW dojangs about 30 minutes from you.

One is in Williamson, and the other in Webster. I believe one of our KSW members here is attending one of those schools, but I can't remember which one.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Good luck with finding another school, Laurie.

Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out at your old place.

I don't know any MA schools in NY, but you're always welcome to come and train at my dojo if you're ever in the UK! :D

NY to South Yorkshire, England is a bit far to travel on a regular basis, though... :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

tommarker,

That is way south of me. It would be nice to get back into TSD, though. But that is like two or three hours away from me.

Doug,

I know you suggested those schools before, but driving an hour in the winter up here isn't good. Specially near Webster (lake affect snow). But doesn't one of the instructors at one of those schools teach at Finger Lakes Community College? I thought I heard or read about that somewhere.

Laurie F

Your 25 mile ability confused me. Depending on the roads, that's about 30 minutes (which these claim to be on Mapquest)

Unfortunately, club type classes aren't listed on the website. But you could call either of those schools and they could confirm or deny that community college class for you.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.