• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu -- I'd like some info about the style.

krunchyfrogg

I'd like to know more about this style of karate.

I found a dojo close to where I plan on moving, and would like some outside opinions on the style.

I currently practice a blend of shotokan, shorin-ryu and goju. How would my skills (roughly green belt level, I test soon) translate into isshinryu?

Thanks a lot

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I transferred from IsshinRyu to ShorinRyu. Its doable....you'll have to learn to punch with a vertical fist and block differently....also, the stances are narrower than what you are used to in Shotokan. There are only 8 empty hand katas in the I-Ryu system --- some schools incorporate there own H and I pattern forms into the curriclum to learn the basics, but the 8 foundation katas are typically harder than those found in other systems. Take Seisan --- its a brown / black belt kata in other styles, but you learn it as a white belt in IsshinRyu. The next kata is Seiunchin, which you should recognize as a goju kata....followed by nahnachi....etc

IsshinRyu came from Shorin/Goju Ryu so they'll be things in common.

KarateForums.com Sempai

Thanks, stl.

I know all schools are different, but do you find a isshinryu school to be very physically intensive?

Also, how does one pronounce "isshinryu"? How many syllables? Is it ishin-ryu? Is-shin-ryu?

-- Jackie Robinson

-- Edmund Burke

Pronounced in 3 syllables:

IS

SHIN

RYU

All schools are different so its only intense you and your instructors allow it to be.

Ours varied --- we were in a college town and had a few ROTC students (I was one of them :P ) --- anyway we wanted the intense workout!!! We also had some older parents that just wanted a lil workout or were doing the family thing and weren't trying to have a heart attack! So what we would do is:

a. We had conditioning workshops outside of the regular curriculum --- totally volutary....and those were killer workouts

b. sometimes during classes we would do kata burns --- we'd start with the white belt kata and work up to the black belt katas --- the more katas you knew --- the longer you been around and hopefully the better your stamina. When you didn't know the next kata....you had the option to step back or repeat the katas you know

There is plenty more that we did to vary the intensity to those that wanted it --- but like I said, my experiences will probably be differnent from yours. Hope you enjoy! IsshinRyu was very rewarding for me!

KarateForums.com Sempai

Isshinryu is for the most part geared well for American body types. With the stances higher and the kicks lower. My Isshinryu instructor had a great emphasis on fighting application and sparring. IMO it is a good style to develop fitness and fighting skills.

What style do you study that is a mix of the styles you mentioned, it sounds similar to I-ryu?

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Sounds cool, thanks for all the replies.

I'm definitely going to check out this dojo. It's only about 20 minutes from where I'm going to live.

How does this school look to you Isshinryu practitioners?

-- Jackie Robinson

-- Edmund Burke

poppa4pump1,

Your a master of isshinryu, so I want to ask you a question regarding that site that krunchyfrogg posted.

Did you check out the photo page, then goto training. then they have a pic of them doing seisan kata.

In that pic, it looked to me like they were not punching center, like they were punching arms?

It may have been the angle of cam, but i doubt it.

What do you think about this?

• 4 weeks later...

drunkenninja:

I looked at the pics and as I see it they still have their right arm in a side block position so I think that the left fist is in a stacked position. If they were punching with the left hand then the right would be in a stacked position. After looking at these pics I now kinda see what you are talking about.