• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the deal with the Shotokan\ karate sidekick?

Fat Donkey

I haven't got to learning the sidekick yet, but in Wado Ryu we have sokuto fumikomi - a stamping kick to the knee with the edge of the foot not the sole. I don't know why the edge of the foot - I'd imagined because its a narrow, knife like surface, and it's hard. Also, if you use the sole of the foot against the knee, the pressure of impact can spread the bones in your foot, whereas if you use the edge, the bones are buttressed against each other. I've no idea if this is right though.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have that kick in our style too, we call it Gedan Sokoto. And you are absolutely correct for its application and why the edge of the foot is used. Well, he is absolutely correct, in my opinion.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

We use that kick at my dojo - called Sokuto Fumikomi too. I'm not sure if it's a regular thing in Shotokan to use that kick, but we probably train in it at my dojo because my instructor has trained in several karate styles including Wado, Goju, Kyokushin and Shorin.

We tend to do a lot of things that aren't 'officially' Shotokan, but my instructors veiew point is that if it works, we might as well include it - just because other Shotokan dojo's don't, doesn't mean that we can't either.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thats cool Aefibird, sounds like you go to a good dojo! I think its good when an instructor has the ability to do this.

Seize the day!

We use that kick at my dojo - called Sokuto Fumikomi

Yeah, we practise side edge of the foot kicking too on occasion (side kick and stamp kick) - useful to know as many ways of inflicting pain and damage as possible, just in case. :brow:

There is a variant of this kick in bassai dai on the fumikomi (stamping kick) called fumikiri (slicing kick) using the side edge of the foot hacking down the shin and then crushing the top of the foot with a second stamp :D (atleast thats how we do it anyway :))

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

We use the side of the foot because its better for getting in under the chin, and is better for crushing bones like the ribs. When the foot is in this position, the muscles on the back of the leg are used more thus providing more power in the kick.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

When you think about it its obvious,thats the hardest part of your foot,it may seem difficult at first,i still cant do it properly all the time,but it eventually gets better with practice.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

I disagree that its the hardest part of your foot, i would say its pretty soft. It wouldnt have any effect on th ribs. But under the chin yes it would work nicely.

If you really think the side of the foot will hurt the ribs then try it.

Seize the day!

I tend to agree that it isn't the hardest. But I think to simply state it has no effect on the ribs is erroneous. I am not sure how many styles use this technique, but if it was ineffective it would not be used. I have seen many karateka use this technique and cause great damage to their targets.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu