• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the deal with the Shotokan\ karate sidekick?

Fat Donkey

Its called a side snap kick when you hit with the blade we also do a a side thrust kick that hits with the bottom of the foot.

However the purpose of a side snap kick is to get between rips. Its a defensive kick not use for great power but to shock someone or slow them down. Its not my fav. by far but its a very quick kick you can land pretty much anytime because its sneaky.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side kicks can be done with the knife edge of the foot, the heel or the ball of the foot. It all depends on the target. I saw a knife edge go in under someones chin to the neck area once that looked deadly. The same kick done with the heel or ball of the foot would definately not have hit the target.

Think about the different striking surfaces of the hand. The foot also has different striking surfaces and much of the time ohnly a few are used.

Think about the different striking surfaces of the hand. The foot also has different striking surfaces and much of the time ohnly a few are used.

You beat me to it :D Thats exactly what I was going to say.

I believe the phrase is 'Horses for courses'... ie it depends on what you are trying to do as to how you do it :)

We practise the sokuto (side edge of the foot) version occasionaly so we can do it easily, but most of the time we stick with the kakato (heel) version. I've never heard of using the ball of the foot though - I would have thought this would cause damage to the ankle! :o

As far as I was aware the sokuto version is not a Shotokan kick as such... I've seen it in Wado Ryu though instead of the kakato version.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Yes this makes more scense. At least it cleared up now. I never thought about using it to the throat, good application.

Seize the day!

Think about the different striking surfaces of the hand. The foot also has different striking surfaces and much of the time only a few are used.

That's what I was clumsily trying to say in my earlier post, only you put it much better that I did!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I normally practice kekomi (thrust) with the heel and keagi (snap) with the upper side edge of the foot. As long as you work on getting your heel higher than your toes as you kick, then you should be fine.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

You beat me to it :D Thats exactly what I was going to say.

I believe the phrase is 'Horses for courses'... ie it depends on what you are trying to do as to how you do it :)

We practise the sokuto (side edge of the foot) version occasionaly so we can do it easily, but most of the time we stick with the kakato (heel) version. I've never heard of using the ball of the foot though - I would have thought this would cause damage to the ankle! :o

As far as I was aware the sokuto version is not a Shotokan kick as such... I've seen it in Wado Ryu though instead of the kakato version.

Andy.

Many do front kicks with the ball of the foot with no damage to the ankle it is the same with a properly executed side kick using the ball of the foot.

Let me set the record straight here...

Batman had a sidekick...

The Green Hornet had a sidekick...

The Lone Ranger had a sidekick...

Even Lassie had a sidekick...

So why can't Shotokan have a sidekick!

:D :lol: :P :karate:

Actually, G59champ said exactly what I was going to say. The edge of the foot is for snap kick (keage) to apply shock to an apponent or internal injury from applying shock to the apponent - not a thrusting blow...

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

We use the edge of the foot. In our style there is a difference between a sidekick, called Yoko Geri and Sokoto-geri which is translated to us as Sword Edge kick. It looks like a side kick, it just is worked differently. The knee is raised as if you are doing a front kick and then it is thrusted with a hip rotation and the edge coming out. Rather than attacking with the heel or the sole of the foot, like a brick, the foot becomes a wedge. This goes well with soft spots, hurts more IMO, and fits nicely inbetween ribs :D

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)