• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira....what do you guys think of it as Combative?

I dont agree. Someone has to agile, flexible, and have a "rythmn".

that will be taught to you, just as you will gain the attributes necessary for any art you train. Some natrually, will be more apt than others, but anyone can beccome proficient.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, ANY art, trained properly, and in the hands of a skilled fighter, is effective. Plus...they have cool rythym....lol

But do you think a 250-300lb husky person, or per even a muscular "boxer", can do it?

I hover between 210 and 230 and I am a grappler/thaiboxer. When I trained longfist, I was able to do tornado kicks and land them on one leg, in addition to all of the other aerial kicks. I was one of the best kickers in the class and can kick above head height without warmup to this day.

the maestre at my club (the MA center consists of several instructors of various styles who share a gym, basically) let me borrow some footage of capoeira competitions - baccizado (sp?) and there are a few husky people on there. He also has a student bigger than me that can do some amazing things.

Certainly, there are arts which are more "suited" for certain body types.....my understanding of Capoera is that it requires very good flexibility, and an ability to move to a certain rhythym. Just because someone is "husky".....dont misjudge their abilities in terms of flexibility.....perfect example of that would be Sammo Hung....while he certainly is ...ahem...."portly".....he sure can move, and is VERY flexible.....of course, he isnt the norm.....but....you know what they say about judging a book by its cover.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

You can be trained no matter what size. There is more to capoeira than the amazing things.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Certainly, there are arts which are more "suited" for certain body types.....my understanding of Capoera is that it requires very good flexibility, and an ability to move to a certain rhythym. Just because someone is "husky".....dont misjudge their abilities in terms of flexibility.....perfect example of that would be Sammo Hung....while he certainly is ...ahem...."portly".....he sure can move, and is VERY flexible.....of course, he isnt the norm.....but....you know what they say about judging a book by its cover.

I agree, I wax just posting for general replies.

MM......would that be "wax on-wax off" ???? :brow:

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

MM......would that be "wax on-wax off" ???? :brow:

No....sand the floor!

Darn key board sticks. Fingers have to hit extra hart, slip and hit others keys.

Ah Yes, the "Karate Kid". I HAD ACUALLY LIVED THAT SAGA BFORE THAT MOVIE.

A short excerpt from my personal martial art journal:

My favorite Master/Instructor (one of 8- though a few of the other 7 weren't as personal) in 1968. I was 11 then, I think. Anyway, I discovered him while riding my bicycle far away, in another neighborhood. He and two others, were training in a spacious garage. To make this brief, I started to train under him in exchange for labor around his home. No waxing, sanding, or fence painting. Painted his house and other "weird-by-design" chores. Anyway, he normally did not accept students under 17, and in wasn't until about 2 years, until I really started to learn something. I do not know why I had "stayed", initially, and not lost interest. I guess it was the support and drive from a parent.

I was with him, Master Lee, (yes, this was his actual family name) through my teens, as he was like a "uncle" to me. He didn't "replace" my biological father, but he was a extra "mentor". The minimum age for a motor vehicle license was 15 back then. I started to drive alot (my mother's vehicle) about a half year or so later. Next thing I knew, I was 16 and going to my first "prom". The very day of the prom, which was going to be that evening, Mom's car was having mechanical problems. I took it to Master Lee, whom is a excellant mechanic by trade. I guess I would have to be "chaperoned". Master Lee, sensing that I was feeling chagrin, instructed me to return to his house hours later. I had pondered that perhaps he may "finish" Mom's car in time.

With high anticipation, not to mention anxiety, I went to his house hours later, as instructed. Time was falling short for the "big" gala. From some "last" gleam of desire, I had thought Master Lee would save me by having Mom's car ready. Upon the discovery-NOT SO!!

I wondered why would he summon me there, knowing that he would not finish the work in time. Was this some strange torment, or a another lesson to be learned via trauma?

Master Lee, like other collectors, had a large "collection" of things. Being a mechanic, his "collection" were mechanical things. To my knowledge, at that particular moment, I knew he had owned motorcycles. They were rare and nice ones, and yes some old "Harleys". Master Lee, enjoyed "old" things.

Knowing well my plight, he took me to another garage that he had nearby. In it were some very fine classic automobiles. I say automobiles, because naming them cars, would do injustice. One in particular, was parked outside in front. I did not think of the reason why, as I had seen enough space in that garage.

After a speech, which I will omit the details, he tossed me the keys and I had a ride in a classic car. Master Lee had "saved the day", or shall I say, "night'.

And the next day, the "big" surprise....

I have never trained in it, but it is probably one of the most interesting martial arts to read about. While researching it on the internet I have ran across some stories of some fights that have taken place in Brazil where Copoeira fighters have dominted others some of these fights include grapplers. Either way I have to agree with others that have posted here that anyone willing to give 110% and has heart can benifit from just about any style.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I have never trained in it, but it is probably one of the most interesting martial arts to read about. While researching it on the internet I have ran across some stories of some fights that have taken place in Brazil where Copoeira fighters have dominted others some of these fights include grapplers. Either way I have to agree with others that have posted here that anyone willing to give 110% and has heart can benifit from just about any style.

Do you have a links?