• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira....what do you guys think of it as Combative?

does anybody know a good book about it

i have no idea what this capoeira is about

please show me a site or something

is it that dancing martial art invented by the africa americans during slave time.

i think it is that one because you talk about the rythm and everyything

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search the net for Capoeira it's easy to find. 47MartialArtman good post. With another system Capoeira would be really affective. Just in the jinga there are hand attacks from other systems that would be nice to use.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Capoeira was created by african slaves brought to Brazil by the portugese. It really is an ingienous art, and not just for its outward deception. Slave owners, upon seeing the early forms of this "dance" would have competitions, seeing whose slaves could "dance" better. And when the slaves were singing about Saint Anthony or somesuch, they were actually singing about a spirit or god of their own religion. Everything, not just the movements were deceptive. The songs, the culture surrounding it...when it was finally recognized for what it was, it was illegal up until the early 1930s. Wonderful art, I highly suggest it to anyone, already trained in a martial art or not. I'll try to post some links for it soon, probably on another thread...General MA most likely.

Sunrunner

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

Capoeira was created by african slaves brought to Brazil by the portugese. It really is an ingienous art, and not just for its outward deception. Slave owners, upon seeing the early forms of this "dance" would have competitions, seeing whose slaves could "dance" better. And when the slaves were singing about Saint Anthony or somesuch, they were actually singing about a spirit or god of their own religion. Everything, not just the movements were deceptive. The songs, the culture surrounding it...when it was finally recognized for what it was, it was illegal up until the early 1930s. Wonderful art, I highly suggest it to anyone, already trained in a martial art or not. I'll try to post some links for it soon, probably on another thread...General MA most likely.

Thanks. Amxiously awaiting those links

I will admit that I've only really skimmed a book that a friend had bought because he was mildly curious about it. One thing the book was really big on was the deception (i.e. walk casually up to someone and slice them before they sense any aggression). While I think masked intent is good in a fight, apparently the whole philosophy of capoeira (according to this guy) was big into deception period. Life was just a game, so play it any way you can, including lying, stealing, conning if it gets you ahead. I don't necessarily like its whole overtones in that area. Of course, divorced from this, I think it is interesting at least.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

i think all you guys saw the movie "only the strong" to much.

capoeira is an art that needs stamina, flexibility and ofcourse you.

what i mean by you is that every art is beutiful in someway and if you like that art and want to study it by heart you will learn the art itself...and learn to defend yourself. it is up to you how much you like the art.

think about it first.

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

Your right and I think it takes people who are one with their body. They can control thier bodies in ways that are crazy.

But I read and this art is for anyone. Seeing all the crazy and beautiful moves are for those gifted enough to do so. But this art can be done by anyone any shape or size.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Your right and I think it takes people who are one with their body. They can control thier bodies in ways that are crazy.

But I read and this art is for anyone. Seeing all the crazy and beautiful moves are for those gifted enough to do so. But this art can be done by anyone any shape or size.

I dont agree. Someone has to agile, flexible, and have a "rythmn".

Again, ANY art, trained properly, and in the hands of a skilled fighter, is effective. Plus...they have cool rythym....lol

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"