• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira....what do you guys think of it as Combative?

Opinions please.. I just read a book about it and have seen many moves. The book I read broke it down to the roots.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By itself, I don't believe that Capoeria would be the most practical and effective martial art. It would take years and years of training to even be able to apply the basics in an actual fight. But I'm sure it does improve your overall physical performance and coordination.

It sure it beautiful, though, and it has a pretty neat history to it.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

I'll have to agree with Lucifer, here. But it is an opinion based on ignorance, in my case. I just don'tknow that much about it. On the other hand, if you aren't used to it, the acrobatic moves might surprise you. I'd like to see it actually used sometime.

Freedom isn't free!

:lol: I agree it's beautiful and I can see how some of the kicks and rythms would be effective but wouldn't the ground conditions have to be near perfect for u to even use it. I mean up here in the Great White North your looking at snow and ice five months of the year. How the heck do u do a hand stand on that? :roll:

Donkey

By itself, I don't believe that Capoeria would be the most practical and effective martial art. It would take years and years of training to even be able to apply the basics in an actual fight. But I'm sure it does improve your overall physical performance and coordination.

It sure it beautiful, though, and it has a pretty neat history to it.

that's because you've never REALLY seen it. True capoeira has a lot of infighting and takedowns. Some of them can be hard to pick up on if you are just watching two people, but if you have someone actually show them to you, you'll see them much easier.

Cool thanks guys keep it coming.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

Thats very interesting SevenStar, I would like to see some of that sometime.

I have always loved the acrobatic/unorthodox movements that i have seen in capoeira, and i have learned some of them by myself.

Man to man, Soldier to soldier, Dust to dust.

A buddy of mine just started attending our muay thai class, and going to start having his capoeria classes there. I was watching them tonight - they do ALOT of sweeps. My friend is the maestre, and he loves stepping in and doing takedowns on students when they kick high. Alot of what people see during demos is distance fighting - like watching any other striking style - in kicking range, they kick. When the capoeristas get in close, they do takedowns, knees and elbows.

sukui nage, o soto gari, de ashi barai, o uchi gari and morote gari (double leg) are among the takedowns he did tonight in training. Afterwards, we all talked about the parallels between capoeira and muay thai - surprisingly, they have alot of similarities.

historically, capoeria, as done by the street gangs is in the 'angola' style.

it is much lower, focuses more on the fighting and, 'on the street' was often accompanied by knives.

also, what most people see, is the game (roda) of capoeria and not the actual fighting.

think wing chun and its chi sau.

kinda the same thing.

both are games we play safely to test the waters.

actual fighting is totally different.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Yeah that's what I read in that book. They would put razors in their toes back in the day and do throws with their legs.

Roda, the game is awesome and something I can watch over and over.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"