• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taikyoku kata

aefibird

Does anyone here train in all of the Taikyoku (also called Kihon) kata?

Most people tend just to do Taikyoku Shodan - does anyone practice Taikyoku Nidan and Sandan on a regular or even semi-regular basis?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do.

I am not teaching at this time but training under the Sensei of my former Sensei but when I taught I did teach and do both Nidan and Sandan every class espically with new students.

In Shotokan you usually don't try and teach Heian Shodan until after the first month. I found that by going though all 3 Taikyoku kata you can get them involved in kata quicker and its makes Heian Shodan simpler to pick up when it comes that time.

Also when I taught kids classes I used the 3 Taikyoku instead of the Heian Kata but we just added stripes to the white belt until I felt they were able to pick up Heian Shodan. It allowd young kids to feel like they were progressing. Because 6 year olds don't pick up as fast as say 10 year olds. So that worked well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

My dojo starts you off with Empi Kata.

Then it's Taikyoko Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yandan and finally Godan.

We get our fair share of Taikyoko's!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

You start with EMPI???????

This is the same Empi in shotokan??? I find that hard to believe.... Empi is a very difficult kata for black belts muchless beginners. Stance shifting, balance, advanced combos, a jump, are you sure you mean Empi????

We usually don't teach Empi until somone has been a black belt for a few years.

I have also never seen Yandon and Godan in the Taikoyku series how do they go?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I thought the latter 3 Taikyoku's were not created by Funakoshi (who apparantly created Taikyoku Shodan, Nidan and Sandan) - is this correct?

For interested Brits, there's a very good article about the Taikyoku kata in this month's edition of Traditional Karate magazine (if you can't find it in the newsagents, ask W H Smith; they're genius at getting hold of magazines no one else seems to be able to!!)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

We don't train the takki yakkis :) at all.

I don't see the use in them either. Heian Shodan is easy enough so why make it even more simple?

It is not required to get a belt, so why train that 'dance'?

There are enough other interesting katas so why learn even more?

It is better to know a few katas really well instead of knowing as many katas as possible.

René