• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian/Pinan

aefibird

we do our kata almost every day in class. There's a special class on Saturdays where we just do forms for an hour. We modify them for fun, like, doing a form in cat stance instead of forward stance, doing them slowly or faster than usual, or switching kinds of kicks or something like that. In our usual classes we put a lot of emphasis on kata. It depends on what sensei wants to do that day, but we generally spend a lot of class time on forms. And it ain't easy. The saturday morning class is really demanding.

so, the verdict-- kata = important

got any more questions? I'm glad to answer them :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply, Beka. :)

What styles does Cuong Nhu take its kata from? Do you have any of your own, that are only in Cuong Nhu?

That sounds like a fun idea, doing a kata in cat stance instead of another stance - I'll have to try that sometime. Occasionally, things like that can really help you to understand how a kata fits together and helps you to get to grips with it I think.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Well, I'm not totally sure, since I don't have experience with other styles. Our first 4 forms (just called first, second, third, and forth) are just basic moving in forward stance, doing blocks, punches, siome kicks, chops, etc. I think that they were taken from Shotokan, but adapted. I believe there is a form based on wing chun, but I've only heard about it, not seen it. We have Empi, Jutte, and Pinan kata that I know for sure of. I reckon we'd do them similarly to other styles, but again, I don't have experience with any others, so I can't say for sure. We also have bo and tambo kata, but I don't know where they come from.

We're having an instructor demo next weekend, so maybe I'll ask around about it.

Thanks, that would be great if you could! I'm always intereseted in learning about other styles, even if I've never got to see them in action.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks again! It is a little bit of a dorky vid, but at least now I can say I've seen Cuong Nhu in action...

I must say from what you've said about it, and from seeing the vid, Cuong Nhu looks like a good style - knowing my luck, though, my nearest school will be about a thousand miles away. :-/

Sheffield Steelers!

well from what I understand there's a school in Paris (Cuong Nhu a Paris). You could just hop on the Chunnel and bam! you're there!! :P

lol, and be back again in time for tea and crumpets, in a true british fashion.... :lol:

Sheffield Steelers!