• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian/Pinan

aefibird

Pinan's here. I've seen the Japanese versions numerous times of them (Heians) from various systems and although similar in looks often times, the execution of the techniques, stances and bunkai of many (most?) of the movements can be quite a bit different.

I'm from the old school of thought and the versions of the Pinans, and all of our kata's actually, that we do are the oldest versions that we can find. Essentially, we're actually trying to go backwards to the old ways, instead of forwards to the "new and improved" ways as much as possible...which is what I prefer. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually would say the opposite: altohugh the pinan and heians look different their applciations (arguably what defines a kata) are essentially identical. when a wado-ryu practitioner does a pinan shuto-uke he implies the same attack as a shotokan practioner doing it in heian.

And i wouldnt call wado-ryu practioners 'shotokan offshoots' to their face :D

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Pinan - ichi, ni, san, yan, go at seki-juku

:karate:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

AFAIK Funakoshi's son Yoshitaka is suspected to have altered the Pinan kata to include back stances instead of cat stances, and side kicks instead of groin kicks for the modern Heians? I'm not sure about that though.

We call them Pinan (Wado Ryu). For some reason, we start with Pinan Nidan. (I think because its the shortest, and easiest for beginners to pick up).

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

We have Pinans. I don't know how many we use. At least 3, maybe 5. I have only learned Pinan 1. Cuong Nhu is a hybrid, so we take what we like. ha!

Beka, how important is kata/forms in Cuong Nhu?

From how you've described it in earlier posts it sounds like a great system - I only wish there was a school near me so I could check it out.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!