• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian/Pinan

aefibird

If your style does the Heian/Pinan kata, do you call them by their Okinawan translation (Pinan) or by thr Japanese translation (Heian)?

Just curious!! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theve always been heian to me. altohugh i accept pinan is arguably the more 'correct'.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Although the Heian kata's are derived from the Pinan kata's, they are significantly different kata's. So the question whether you call them Pinan or Heian is in fact irrelevant.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

Yes, but most people seem to lump these kata together as similar (which they are, even though there are differences). I was just curious as to which styles do Pinan and which do Heian.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yes, but most people seem to lump these kata together as similar (which they are, even though there are differences). I was just curious as to which styles do Pinan and which do Heian.

As far as I know only in Shotokan and Shotokai these kata are called Heian. In all other styles they are called Pinan or Pian or Pyung Ahn. Even in styles like Wado-ryu and Kyokushinkai, which can be seen as Shotokan off shoots, they are called Pinan.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi